If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Cycle World Magazine

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
"Todd Trumbore"

Cycle World Magazine

Post by "Todd Trumbore" »

Article by Cook Neilson; Cover Story 

Attachments
1952382122.3681877.1683043867069_Screenshot_20230502_120829_Facebook.jpg

borella_ent@hotmail.com

Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Cycle World Magazine

Post by borella_ent@hotmail.com »

I still have that issue up on the bookshelf.

John Borella

"Todd Trumbore"

Post by "Todd Trumbore" »

My oh my, John Borella, good to hear from you!How have you been and what have you been doing these days?All the best,Todd Trumbore 
Subject: Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Cycle World Magazine

I still have that issue up on the bookshelf.

John Borella

"Steve"

Post by "Steve" »

Hi John, I still truly enjoy the beautiful paint job you did for me 20
years ago :-)

On Wed, May 3, 2023, 9:14 AM Todd Trumbore via groups.io <motorrader=
veriz
Attachments
CADcwszwXu9CUWF-cgGU6TFCCQO6-DKrari_TbjJf3X=XFyjWEw_PXL_20221022_210818020.jpg

"Robert Alexander"

Post by "Robert Alexander" »

Yes….I agree with the cover. Especially the “Expensive”. Upon graduating and getting my first engineering job, a DO R90S was my first purchase and loan, summer 1976.

Bike was a priority over my beat up 67 Chevy.

"John Borella"

Post by "John Borella" »

My R90/S was my first new motorcycle and my first automotive loan. Paid $3600 in June 76 which was a good deal as they listed for $3950 at the time. Bought it from a local Kawasaki shop that had a BMW franchise for a few years. BMW eventually pulled it after receiving numerous complaints concerning their mechanical expertise. After they screwed up a warranty reseal of the rear drive I hauled the bike up to Boston Cycle & got it sorted.

John

"Brett Rogers"

Post by "Brett Rogers" »

Thank you Mr. Borella for the group Boyer ignition purchase many years ago...Still working great.

Brett

"RALPH JUST"

Post by "RALPH JUST" »

Lots of love stories here...Me too.

"Frank ---Down Under"

Post by "Frank ---Down Under" »

It’s quite interesting how events bring about change. On the 6th February 1976, like any other work day I rode my Honda CB500 to work. At 7.20am, to be precise, I was involved in a head-on with a petrol tanker. Well that’s one way to spoil the day. It didn’t do the Honda much good either.

Four months later the right hand middle finger was once again working following micro surgery and the bones in my right hand and rib cage were pain free. Yep I was ready to buy another bike. As touring was my first love the BMW became my first and only choice. So on 5th July I placed a $20 deposit and on the 7th July 1976 I threw my leg over a brand new BMW R90S that was assembled five days before my accident. I gingerly, rather nervously rode back home covering a mere 20km. From the word go, I loved riding this bike. It was everything that I ever wanted from a motorbike. It has been used as ride to work transport, club runs, even raced in club events but foremost as a means to indulge in my first love, long or ultra-long distance touring. This month saw it pass 461,000klm.

And I have not regretted one single day riding it.

Frank
Down Under

rogerh8808@gmail.com

Re: Cycle World Magazine

Post by rogerh8808@gmail.com »

Thanks for the great story, Frank.
Wow.  That's an impressive feat for both you and the R90S, though I suppose no one will be surprised by the latter's mileage.  Built to last!    And obviously, you recognized quality when you saw it.

My first Beemer was acquired around the same time, but as i was only in the market for a used bike, I got a '66 R69S.    I rode that for years until deciding I needed something more powerful for the Colorado mountains, and got first, a R90/6 and then, my R90S.   I love the R90, but also regret having parted with the R69S at a time when I was just wanting to declutter my garage.

~Roger in Colorado