If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Cycle World Magazine

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
"Frank ---Down Under"

Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Cycle World Magazine

Post by "Frank ---Down Under" »

Roger

Aha third time lucky! I can understand regretting your action when parting with the R69S. That is one BMW that apart from being quite desirable is an exceptional long distance tourer.

Whilst passing through England on the way to my country of birth, Malta, I was very fortunate that the mate I was staying with, following a photo session casually enquired whether I would like to take his bikes out for a spin. If my heart was being monitored the result would be that it suddenly started to beat so much faster, it was close to valve bounce. Doing my best to control a quivering tongue I hurriedly blurred out a rather loud “YES” before he changed his mind.

A helmet and leather jacket was hurriedly borrowed and as I welcomed the warmth of the jacket over a multitude of extra clothing (the English sun isn’t as warm as the Aussie one) I watched him gently bring the 1964 R69S into life. BMW build the exhaust pipes first as hardly a sound can be heard; a most civilised motorbike.

Straddling this bike was quite similar to my R26, the handle bars/petrol tank and seat are quite low thus easily able to plant both feet on the ground. I was so looking forward to ride as unlike riding a R100RS in America in peak traffic, it was a joy to once again ride outside Australia on practically a deserted road.

Low first gear saw me easily take off heading down his driveway towards the road. No traffic in sight so it was a gently easing onto the road and starts a new adventure. With the engine still relatively cold I gingerly applied throttle, gently going up through the gears.

Yet the acceleration was rather startling. It was to say the least quite impressive. I definitely didn’t expect this. If one isn’t careful and paying close attention to the speedometer, going over the existing speed limit was only seconds away. Coupled to this, the surefootedness action on the relatively smooth gearbox was a joy to use, being both light and positive. In a set of twisty bends one can play with the gearbox through the bends flicking the light feeling bike with ease. The clutch was very light in operation at times leading me to think that the cable isn’t connected, it is so easy to use. Light traffic saw me enjoy the ride for quite a few miles. The only time the brakes came into use was when it was time to make a U turn at a nominated railway crossing and head back to base. When called for, the brakes being drum ones are absolutely downright brilliant, strong, and powerful yet offering exceptional very good feedback. Two-finger application was all that is needed.

On the way back to base I could see why the R69S is such a desired model. This bike does give the rider a sense of dependable reliability and an inner strength that can easily take it from point A to point B irrespective of the distance in between.

Back at base my mate was warming up a 1939 R51, followed by a 1937 R12. I walked around that day with the widest smile on my face.

Frank
Down Under

rogerh8808@gmail.com

Re: Cycle World Magazine

Post by rogerh8808@gmail.com »

Frank...that's another enjoyable story.
I fear I've already taken the R90S group 'off topic' by mentioning the R69S, but if there was ever another bike worthy of similar acclaim (at least, in its day), the R69S surely would merit consideration.

I had moved  to Boston, in mid 1974, I think), and moving about mostly by foot or via the MBTA (successor to the old "MTA" that the Kingston Trio made famous); that is, until a  desire for more exploring led me to look for a motorcycle.  I'd been gifted, some years before, with a 200cc 1965 Bultaco Metralla, by a roommate-friend; but had left that in my hometown city in Central N.Y. and wasn't really the answer to my needs.    So I went to a bike shop with a small inventory of used bikes, and quickly zeroed in on two bikes: the first was a Triumph (Trophy?); and the other an R69S.  Both 'fit' me well, but the Triumph required a fair amount of effort to kickstart; whereas the R69S started on the 1st easy kick, in part owing to the positioning & motion of the kick start lever.  A brief spin later, and I was hooked on the Beemer.  It seemed 'made for me'.  Smooth in all the ways you mentioned, plenty powerful for the kind of riding I'd ever likely do; quiet, stable and sturdy (with a frame & suspension perfectly set up for a sidecar).  In short, an almost perfect bike.  I'd somewhat differ in opinion on the brakes, however.  The front worked pretty well, but the rear drum wasn't particularly powerful...at least I could never seem to adjust it properly.

It also came with Wixom front fairing and saddlebags, and a Denfeld tail rack ; so it was a fine tourer.  And the riding position and comfort were superb.

One problem did crop up.  The bike I bought had aftermarket silencers (brand unknown) and possibly they had contributed to even better performance (I never rode a different one for comparison, so that's just a guess.)  But when rust forced replacements, I opted for a pair of Campbell's silencers- which seemed to be look-alike to OEM ones.  However, once installed, the bike lost a lot of power.  Not a mechanic, and without a reliable one to go to, I struggled to troubleshoot that.  I figured the new silencers just were too restrictive - not allowing it to 'breathe'.   This was much worsened when I moved to Colorado, at about 5000' altitude.  Trips to the mountain passes were frustrated by the problem.    I tried drilling holes around the back of the cone,  but to no avail.   I also tried changing the carb. jetting, but still no luck.   I have a feeling that the bike had been tuned to the silencers that were on it when I bought it, and the Campbells were probably also the wrong choice. Had I had a knowledgeable BMW mechanic and less stingy habits, I'd probably have had it sorted out, and in retrospect should have.  But as i didn't, that aided my decision to part with it once I had acquired the R90/6.   As I said, one decision that I've often regretted.  I'd love to have one today, but they're more or less now out of reach, market-wise.

Anyway, none of my praise for the R69S does anything to lessen my appreciation for the R90/S, which was a major step forward.   I can't think of any deficiency.  Despite the fact that the model's HP pales in comparison with today's bikes, it's as perfect a motorcycle as i can imagine. Truly a bike that has stood the test of time, like fine music that never gets old but seems even to improve with age.
~Roger.

I

"Todd Trumbore"

Post by "Todd Trumbore" »

Roger that and Roger this:https://4motorrader28.ticketspice.com/b ... ersaryHope to see you here Roger!Happy Motoring,Todd Trumbore Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

rogerh8808@gmail.com

Post by rogerh8808@gmail.com »

I'd love to be able to see you there, Todd, and everyone else. Sounds like a really fine event.  I'll see.  My R90S is awaiting some further work following an accident a couple years back (the 1st in ~45 yrs. of riding) and my other bike is an R1200ST which wouldn't be comfortable for these old joints for the 3500 mi. ride. (nice bike but too sporty ergonomics).  While I'd love to look, hear & mingle, I'm not sure I could bear not having my own S with me.   But maybe...
Thanks for the invitation, and for putting it together,  in either case,
Best,
Roger Hoffmann

"Todd Trumbore"

Post by "Todd Trumbore" »

Roger,I wish you well in getting your R90S  back on the road.  If you're 3500 miles away, you must be residing in Southern CA or possibly western Canada. We do have an attendee coming in from Anchorage Alaska and have quite a few Canadians attending for this event. September is a wonderful time to be riding in Pennsylvania and we have great riding conditions in our region.Hope you can make it.Todd Trumbore Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

"Frank ---Down Under"

Post by "Frank ---Down Under" »

Roger

that's another enjoyable story----------well mate I have so many adventures over 47 years on the S, its hard to look at anything else. Here’s 2 examples why the S is the best or in this case “Never mess with an S”

In 2015 I was fortunate to ride a R100RS with its owner on his R90S from Billings, Montana to Spokane Washington. No matter what speed we travelled at, every time we did a top gear roll on, at any speed, the R90S simply stormed away. Rather embarrassing the more powerful R100RS.

And, accelerating from standing start to the Australian speed limit of 60ph, the 67hp R90S is less than a second slower than the 98hp R1100S. Not bad for a 50yo bike! No wonder it earned the tag of BMW first superbike.

Cheers
Frank

oranger90rs@yahoo.com

Post by oranger90rs@yahoo.com »

Todd - I do hope you can get Maximum Bob Lutz to the event. He would be a crowd pleaser!
I will be there on my R90RS (Daytona Orange, of course)!
Paul Bates