If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Pointless Ignition

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
"Martin Johnson"

Pointless Ignition

Post by "Martin Johnson" »

The points on my 75 SS have closed up twice over the last few years; and although it is a roadside correction, it's hard to perform in the dark.  I have read opinions recently on the virtues of stock points, with and without ignition booster vs pointless ignition. For those holding onto points, I bet it is a rare holdout driving a primary auto with points.  There is a reason point technology is obsolete. Mine is a looker but also a driver; and mostly stock. Stock performance is fine with me.

So I am inclined to abandon my points. I would like for those with experience with the various systems offered to opine on their relative virtues. I can go either with or without mechanical advance. Reliability and the ability to perform a simple roadside retrofit to stock setup in the event of e-ignition failure is important to me.

I appreciate your advice.

"Scott Blaylock"

Re: Pointless Ignition

Post by "Scott Blaylock" »

My preference for electronic ignitions is the one from Euro Motoelectrics - EDL-BOIGNS ( https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/produ ... boigns.htm ).

There are a few things I like about this system.

* Installs on the end of the crankshaft, not the camshaft. This provides for very accurate timing of both cylinders.
* Well documented and easy install.
* Leaves the original points system in place as a backup in the event the electronic one packs it in.
* It's, what I like to call, a non-invasive install - meaning it can be removed and the bike put back to stock.
* Three different ignition curves, including one for dual plugged bikes.

I've installed six or seven of these units in customer's bike ranging from a '71 R75/5 to an R100/7 and I also have one installed in my personal '74 R90S. I noticed a marked difference in how smooth the my R90S was with the new ignition and another R90S customer also commented on how smooth the bike felt after installing one is his bike.

There are several writeups on this system so you can get an idea of how easy/hard it is to install.

Scott B.

"Chris Perry"

Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Pointless Ignition

Post by "Chris Perry" »

Hey Scott B,

Would you happen to know if this ignition system can work in tandem with the Enduralast 450w alternator?

Someone mentioned to me that this won’t work with a permanent Mag charging system(?)

TIA.

Best,
Chris Perry

"Mike Kowal"

Re: [R90SWORLDNET] Pointless Ignition

Post by "Mike Kowal" »

If you have the Enduralast 450 that is the best ignition to get. Easy to set up an the bike runs a lot better   Now you are getting the timing directly off of the crank. I have installed about 12 of them an they work Great.   Mike Kowal

"Scott Blaylock"

Re: Pointless Ignition

Post by "Scott Blaylock" »

Hey Chris,

It looks like Mike K. confirmed it does work with the Enduralast 450 Watt system. I haven't installed a 450 Watt system... yet, but have installed it with the EnDuraLast II - 400 Watt system and it works great.

*EDIT* : Actually, it looks like the Electronic Ignition system is different for the 450 Watt charging system. This is the one for the 450 Watt - EDL-IGNS ( https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/produ ... l-igns.htm ). It's designed specifically for the 450. The one I listed above works with the 400.

Scott B.