If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

For those who like special tools

malmac

Re: For those who like special tools

Post by malmac »

808Airhead wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:47 pm
Yes Mal, we had a horrendous fire in the town I grew up in , Lahaina, Maui. It is tragic and devastating. Global warming is affecting all of us!
Sorry to hear of the tragedy. I hope you recover in time. Very hard to put words to do justice to these events.

Regards

mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

Seek wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:18 am
Mal, I see you made a tool to replace the small end bushing. How do you ream it to size? Did you also make a tool to keep it perpendicular to the crankcase?
I use either the 18mm or 20mm ball pushed through as recommended by Barrington.
Then I have a spiral reamer for both 18mm and 20mm depending on bush size.

I do not have a special tool for ensuring the bush is perfectly in line with the crankshaft centre line.
I guess there is three situations to deal with.
1. Motor assembled, with cylinders off
2. Crank out of motor, with rods on crank
3. Crank disassembled, rods as individual pieces.

I am currently dealing with option 3. Which does make it easier, but not perfect.
You have given me another challenge to ponder on.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

I noticed this little tool I made for fitting the flat clips onto the new valve guides.
I dont think I have shared this before.
Again not necessary, but does do a good job of controlling the process.

Mal
IMG20230128101247.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Seek

Post by Seek »

For inspiration, here is the "Hungergerät", which is designed to ream the bushing when the crank is still in the motor. Hunger is a brandname, who also made valve seat cutters.

https://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index. ... #msg204003

malmac

Post by malmac »

Well that is a really nice bit of kit.

Who knows when the need arises I may have to build a copy.

Thank you for sharing. The design looks really good.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

A couple more tools I use in the workshop.

This is a little holder for adjusting the end float on the R51/3 rockers.
adjust end float on 513 rockers.jpg
This is our ultrasonic cleaner being used on the crankcase. When the bottom half was done, we flippedit upside down and did the top half. The cleaner is a 20 litre job, made in Korea.
ultrasonic clean crankcase.jpg
As each job comes along, there always seems to be the call for another custom tool to either make the job easier or more accurate.

For me designing and making a tool brings a lot of satisfaction and keeps me out from under my wife's feet.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Seek

Post by Seek »

It's fun to see your tools Mac. You put a lot of thought into it.

I assembled the rockers in the vice, using appropriate size sockets. Then they usually are too tight and I adjust the tightness with a hammer while holding the rocker assembly in my hand. That usually works very well.

What is your experience over time? When I install them in the engine they are properly adjusted, but after a while they tend to work loose again.

malmac

Post by malmac »

Seek wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:04 am
It's fun to see your tools Mac. You put a lot of thought into it.

I assembled the rockers in the vice, using appropriate size sockets. Then they usually are too tight and I adjust the tightness with a hammer while holding the rocker assembly in my hand. That usually works very well.

What is your experience over time? When I install them in the engine they are properly adjusted, but after a while they tend to work loose again.
This is not my R51/3 and we haven't heard it run yet. I know these rocker arms have wear, but given the dollars spent on the engine so far, we are going to put these back and see how they run. Because it is not a big deal to take them off later and replace or repair them, we will see how they run.
Because the rockers have wear, I have set them so they can rotate the full 360 degrees with just the slightest tight spot outside their normal rotational range.

These ones have steel bushes, I see Salis has listed bronze bushes, do you have any experience with those bushes?
Also the inside of the rockers are worn and the shafts have uneven wear.
It is a job that wont be too far off down the track.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Seek

Post by Seek »

My R69 has needle bearings, but I seem to remember that my R25 has steel bushes too. Any way, I don't really think it makes much of a difference, steel or bronze.

I also have the experience that there is always a kind of binding spot somewhere around the circumference when you try to eliminate the axial play. Probably that is normal in these parts that don't rotate, but swing back and forth with a varying amount of pressure.

salilla

Post by salilla »

I'm restoring a -61 R60/2. Had to make a bunch of different tools to get the motor and transmission finished. I have prior experience with Messerschmitt KR200s and they require a number of tools that has to be made, but I was surprised that this many tools were needed with the BMW.

This is my tool for pulling the crankshaft timing gear. The one on my bike was very very hard to get out with regular pullers so I decided that it is time to have a beer and think it through. And that's when I came up with this idea.

The aluminum center part of the puller can be used to install the new timing gear also. I hope I never have to use it again, but in the other hand I hope that I'll get to use it again :lol:
Attachments
BMW_puller.jpg