If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Center Stand Etiquette

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
Workinman

Center Stand Etiquette

Post by Workinman »

So I’ve read on this forum and seen it elsewhere that you are NOT supposed to hold the center stand arm down with your foot while pulling the bike onto the stand as it will break off. I’m wondering how the heck you are supposed to get it up on the stand without holding it down. Am I missing something here? I’ve been very carefully holding mine down while placing it on the stand, always being prepared to fix it should it break, but I would really like to know the correct way to do this.
Thanks.

schrader7032

Re: Center Stand Etiquette

Post by schrader7032 »

It depends on what part of the center stand you are referring to. There is a "tang" which is bent and is formed so that it wraps around the exhaust header. That is only used to lower the stand from its stowed position. Once the stand is down, you put your foot on the pad of the center stand, the pad being the part that was originally on the pavement supporting the weight of the bike. With your foot on that pad, you would use the left-side lifting handle by the seat to pull the bike up and on the stand. You can put your weight on the pad, but there's not a lot of leverage there.

I could find anything on utube that would show this...the best I could find is for this /2. You can see the large tang that he uses to get the stand to come down. Then he moves his foot to the pad. Same concept for your Airhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydWQ3JofBQ
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

You can move the stand down with the tang, then put your foot on the back of the left centerstand foot. The R90S is well balanced and pops up on the centerstand easily, so you just need to hold the stand enough so that it doesn't swing up before you pull back with the handle.
--Darryl Richman

Workinman

Post by Workinman »

Thank you, gentlemen, that’s exactly what I needed to know. On my Japanese bikes, and even my R1200RT, I always use the tang to put them on the stand. I’m gonna be taking my R90S to a vintage BMW thing in September, hosted by my nearest BMW dealer (BMW of Greensboro) and I didn’t want to look like the idiot on the block when I put my bike on it’s stand.
Now, thanks to you guys, I’ll look like a seasoned pro!

johnlacko

Post by johnlacko »

If you really want to look like a pro, check out the R90S rider safety film that BMW produced back around 1975. In the opening scene you’ll see a hidden feature of the center stand. The rider leans the bike slightly and spins the bike 180 degrees around on the center stand to exit the garage. I’ve heard seasoned BMW riders gasp when they see this in a “What the hell was THAT!” moment the same way the audience did when Michael Jackson did his first moon-walk on stage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q_1GxcM95 ... eSBmaW0%3D

srankin

Post by srankin »

I was taught the trick of swiveling the bike around a long time ago. Problem is, on some of the older bikes the mounting tangs on the frame for the center stand are not so robust and the twisting motion can bend them out of alignment causing issues with the operation of the center stand. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I saw that video long ago, and as you say, John, I was amazed when the rider spins the bike on the centerstand foot. That video is pretty interesting to see how things have changed since the 70s. Also, love the "Rockford Files" music at the end!
--Darryl Richman

cwf

Post by cwf »

Also, the centre stand is just a bent tube and, long term, it'll wear through.

However, comparing post-1970 twins and 1960s twins, I have found that post '70, the bike is much better balanced and goes onto the stand easily. With my 50/2 I have to pull hard and, given that I'm ten years older than the bike, first it's not doing my back any good and secondly I and the bike have ended up on the ground a few times. And yet, I've spoken to a few Earles fork riders and some have no trouble.

So, is my centre stand worn or bent or are the lugs on the frame bent? Or am I a 7-stone weakling?

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Ha! Took me a bit to figure out how much 7-stone was! :lol:

When on the center stand, how high off the ground is the rear wheel? I think it should be at least an inch to two inches. If less than that, likely your center stand lugs are bent.

Did you ever see or read what Duane Ausherman has said about not even using his hands to put the bike on the center stand? His technique involves using the back of your right calf on the passenger foot peg to help lever the bike up.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Sorry, I wrote tangs, should be lugs, brain fart.

My 78RS fell victim to this. Now, the stock stand is long gone and I have been using ride off stands. Too bad the company went out of business so long ago. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS