If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/5 won’t start has spark

cbclemmens

Re: R60/5 won’t start has spark

Post by cbclemmens »

90 psi is way too low. Normal compression should be at least (according to Haynes) 145 psi. But you need to get it spinning on the starter to check. I don't think you can get a good number with the kick starter. One trick is to remove both spark plugs. Then it doesn't take much for the starter to spin the engine. - BUT - It should at least be able to start. I had an old farm tractor that ran just fine with 90 psi compression.

Craig

SharkAttackTime

Post by SharkAttackTime »

So I rechecked the coils still getting 36 ohms if I check from spark cap to cap if I remove the wire and go directly from coils it’s 25.9 ohms. Can anyone give me some insight on what that means

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Seems like there's a breakdown in the circuit. At that low of a resistance, I wouldn't think the bike would even run. I would either try a different meter just to double check. I would also check each component individually.

Another thing to check is the small black jumper wire that connects each coil. This wire is part of the resistance path of the ignition circuit.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

SharkAttackTime

Post by SharkAttackTime »

The bike doesn’t run at all. The meter is brand new but if I get my hands on another then I’ll try that. Could you explain what I’m looking to test?electronics hurt my brain some days haha I’ll check the black connecting wire

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Guess I see the title..."won't start". But you say you're getting spark. As someone else said, there's spark and then there's spark. The engine needs three things to run...fuel, compression, and spark. All that has to happen at the right time.

The length of wire run from one plug cap to the other is quite long. For any given piece of wire, there is a resistance-per-foot. So, if you don't have the right total resistance, that means there's a break in the wire run somewhere. And if there's a break, you might not get spark.

The coil consists of a primary and secondary set of wiring. With the points closed and current flowing through one of the wiring sets (I think it's the primary), it creates a field response in the secondary set. When the points open, the field collapses and a spark is created out at the plug. If the wiring isn't as long as it should be due to internal breaks, etc., the final spark may not be as strong as needed.
Kurt in S.A.

srankin

Post by srankin »

The little black wire I mentioned earlier is short and between the two coils, easily visible.

Take a look at Snowbum's website I am sure there will be helpful information. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The black wire is going from the negative on one coil to positive on the next coil. It's what maintains the serial connection of the coils.
Kurt in S.A.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Kurt;
He has electronic ignition - no points. The spark is triggered by a magnet passing a coil.

Craig

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Craig -

Forgot about the system. But points opening or being triggered by the Dyna sensors is the same.
Kurt in S.A.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Points? I don't recall the Dyna system I just replaced having any? I recall a Hall effect pick up. Been awhile since I took the unit out so I could be wrong.

Did you mean coils triggered? St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS