If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Compression every other kick???? Schleicher Cam question.

1967 R502

Compression every other kick???? Schleicher Cam question.

Post by 1967 R502 »

So I am restarting a bike (R50S) which has not been run in a while, but is in excellent shape, always dry stored and the engine has always turned freely. It is equipped with a 328 degree cam. So 6 degrees more duration than stock.

Valves have been adjusted.
Timing is perfect and plenty of spark.

However I can get no ignition.

A friend suggested I go back and check the compression, which had some interesting results. I hooked the gauge into the spark plug hole, and compression only registered every other kick .. or thereabouts. I can get full compression, but the odd thing is that bit about it registering only every other kick.the condition is the same in both sides.

I could also feel this compression/lack of compression on the kicker itself, but I was putting that down to my own short comings.

So, if everything is to spec, the only way it could lose compression is if the valves were open when they shouldn’t be. Or so I am rationalizing.

Granted a sport cam will generally cause lower compression due to the increase in overlap, but this seems quite dramatic.

Being the cam is not stock, do the valve clearances change? I think not, but I’m hard pressed to think of another reason for this weird compression behavior, lack of ignition, and what the cure might be.

Btw, when I mean no ignition, I mean absolutely none. Not a burble. Not a peep. Even after dosing with ignition fluid all I could achieve was a single backfire through the carb after about 50 kicks. Which again only reinforced my position that the valves may be open when they should be shut.

Any thoughts on diagnosis or cure appreciated.
Last edited by 1967 R502 on Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therealkennyboy

Re: Compression every other kick???? Schleicher Cam question.

Post by therealkennyboy »

Was it was previously running with that configuration?

If you have spark and compression, the only thing you haven't mentioned is fuel. Are the plugs (hopefully new) wet after a few (50!) kicks? Did you go through the carbs?
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

1967 R502

Post by 1967 R502 »

therealkennyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:04 pm
Was it was previously running with that configuration?

If you have spark and compression, the only thing you haven't mentioned is fuel. Are the plugs (hopefully new) wet after a few (50!) kicks? Did you go through the carbs?
Yes, previously running.
Yes, carbs were completely cleaned, and the plugs are wet.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Seems like compression every other stroke/kick makes sense. It's a 4-cycle engine with a wasted spark ignition...intake-compression-power-exhaust. When one TDC mark comes by, it will on the end of the compression stroke for that cylinder. The next time the TDC mark comes by, that same cylinder will be on the end of the exhaust stroke...the other cylinder will be on the compression stroke. When on the exhaust stroke, the valves will be starting to close, thus no compression.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

therealkennyboy

Post by therealkennyboy »

>Timing is perfect and plenty of spark.

Ignition timing, I assume. Have you confirmed the magneto timing is correct? If the field doesn't collapse at the correct time, the spark (even though nice and strong) may be occurring at the wrong time?

If it was running when put up, I wouldn't think any significant changes would be necessary to get it back up, just the 'standard' things (that you seem to have addressed)--fresh gas (flush the tank?), carb rebuild, new spark plugs, confirm valve clearances, confirm timing. New plug wires/condensor never hurts.

Seems like you're marching down the correct path--good luck!
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

1967 R502

Post by 1967 R502 »

schrader7032 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:12 am
Seems like compression every other stroke/kick makes sense. It's a 4-cycle engine with a wasted spark ignition...intake-compression-power-exhaust. When one TDC mark comes by, it will on the end of the compression stroke for that cylinder. The next time the TDC mark comes by, that same cylinder will be on the end of the exhaust stroke...the other cylinder will be on the compression stroke. When on the exhaust stroke, the valves will be starting to close, thus no compression.
Well, yes, but also no. The measure here is every other kick. A kick does not equal a crank rotation. In fact, I filmed it, and although it’s variable, one kick… a good one… rotates the crank 1.5 times.
Last edited by 1967 R502 on Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't know about the ratio of kicks to engine rotation. But it stands to reason that while measuring the compression a given cylinder, that cylinder will only see compression after every other 360 degree engine rotation. I don't know how it works any other way.
Kurt in S.A.

1967 R502

Post by 1967 R502 »

schrader7032 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:27 pm
I don't know about the ratio of kicks to engine rotation. But it stands to reason that while measuring the compression a given cylinder, that cylinder will only see compression after every other 360 degree engine rotation. I don't know how it works any other way.
That’s the problem. It doesn’t result in compression . So the valves must be open or…???

Think about it: a kick rotated the crank 1.5 times or 540 degrees. So during that cycle it must compress at least once. Yet the compression gauge and my foot both register nothing.

1967 R502

Post by 1967 R502 »

therealkennyboy wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:28 pm
>Timing is perfect and plenty of spark.

Ignition timing, I assume. Have you confirmed the magneto timing is correct?
Timing is perfect. Differential timing could only be more exact if it were electronic.

However, the “compression question”.,,,

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Have you checked compression statically? What about pulling the valve covers, removing the plugs, then putting the bike in 4th gear. Pull the rear tire around until you see the intake valve close on the left side. You are now on the compression stroke. Sit beside the bike and put your thumb spark plug hole. As you turn the rear wheel, do you feel compression building against your thumb? You should build compression as you approach OT. Repeat the same thing for the right side.
Kurt in S.A.