If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Steib TR500 wheel removal It can't be this hard

Parked 2Long

Steib TR500 wheel removal It can't be this hard

Post by Parked 2Long »

I am working on a 72 r75/5 with a Steib TR500 sidecar,
I am trying to remove the rear wheel. It cant be this hard. the tire won't get out of the fender. I think its remove the front mount and lift the front of the fender.
There are only 2 mounting points. The rear is a huge allen, I think this is the pivot point for the fender.
In the front of the fender there is a Dust cover or mud cover. I think that's what its called. Below there is a nut that only loosens maybe 1 turn. the fender is still tight with the nut loose.
what am I missing
I have the sidecar off the bike and on my lift. easy access
In the school of life, first comes the test, then comes the lesson.

Flx48

Re: Steib TR500 wheel removal It can't be this hard

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Park-
You say the rear wheel but maybe mean the sidecar wheel?
The very lower front of the fender has an alloy casting seen to sit in a large pocket in the frame.
This cast piece has a threaded stud which protrudes from its bottom.
Seen under the frame is a large captive nut.
This nut is unscrewed from the stud, to free the front of the fender; the nut remains captive to the frame, so no chance of losing it.
If the nut only unscrews a turn or so, it has probably rusted in place.
Seen from above the frame, you may notice the pocket is positioned so it can capture any available moisture, and so make rusting likely.
Soaking with lot of WD40 may help solve the issue, and so may a lot of muscle, tread forcefully but carefully so as not to break the stud.
When reassembling use antiseize on the threads, same as you do on the exhaust nuts on the heads. (and of course be VERY careful removing those- to protect the heads' aluminum threads)

For the "huge Allen" at the rear of the fender, this only has to be loosened a bit to swing the fender up to vertical, to allow removal of the wheel.
And mind any fender wiring when moving the fender.
I use a bungee to hold the fender vertical so as not to have it fall forward and chop off my hands on the wheel, or to the rear to bash the fender light or a snoozing visitor.
The tool to use for the huge Allen is one of the tool kit's two large "pipe" wrenches, (the hollow tube wrenches that are used to loosen and tighten the axle nuts, among other things, and have the smaller holes to slip the Tommy bar through)
One of those has the proper sized head to fit inside the huge Allen.
And if you don't have those tools, a substitute is to get a short large metric bolt, with the same sized head as the huge Allen, and double nut the threaded end; you then slip the head of the bolt in the huge Allen and put a wrench on the double nut, and Robert's your father's brother.

And mind when removing the wheell from the axle, there may be a thick washer-type piece on the axle behind the wheel, separating the wheel from the backing plate; don't let it get lost. (though you didn't say if the chair has brakes or not)
Best-
George

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

Thanks George
Yes you are right not the rear wheel, the sidecar wheel. Silly me
I don't have the tools you speak ok and the bolt for the big allen... very clever!
That nut that holds the front turns almost 2 turns, I checked last night
I have this disconnected from the bike, and up on my lift. To attempt this on the side of the road :oops: This must be a take apart yearly to lube and inspect.
Off to soak some penetrating oil
Thanks again George. This is my first sidecar rig. Lots of learning.
Chuck

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

oh and no brakes

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

success :D
The wonders of penetrating oil.