If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What to do? 1968 R60/2

Parked 2Long

What to do? 1968 R60/2

Post by Parked 2Long »

I am looking for some advice

I acquired some motorcycles upon my in-laws passing. They lived long good lives. They both rode their own bikes. They had 6 bikes, all BMW R’s, when they got a new bike they parked the old one.

One of the bikes is a 1968 R60/2 numbers matching, granada red, earles forks, stieb sidecar, s350 it could be a s500 I don’t really know the difference. This was my mother in-laws bike when my wife was 12 or so she rode in the sidecar.

The bad news is it needs TOTAL restoration, far more than I am capable of.
It has been parked since 1987, somehow the carbs are not to be found, at least yet.
The sidecar frame looks intact but the tub and fender are very badly rusted and only usable for measurements ..maybe. they look much better in the photo than they are.
It ran when parked LOL

Should I part it out, I think I would get more for parts, but it would be a sweet bike restored. I wish I had that much talent.
Some thoughts?
Any thoughts?
Attachments
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG
In the school of life, first comes the test, then comes the lesson.

Parked 2Long

Re: What to do? 1968 R60/2

Post by Parked 2Long »

This was the 1s time it has moved since parked yesterday 6/12/23 :D

xackley

Post by xackley »

Some one wants that as is. Especially if you can push down the kick start to verify the engine/transmission is not locked up with rust.
You didn't mention the mileage on the odometer. That would be a big clue as to was it parked when worn out or just a move to bigger and more modern.
The buyer would be gambling between a complete rebuild or just bolting up some carbs and cleaning the points to have a running machine.

No matter, it is more valuable as is than parting it out, and a whole lot less work and frustration.

Don
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Someone might want the sidecar only or the bike only. But I agree to not breakup a numbers matching bike!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

Thanks for the insight
I will check the milage
There will be no slapping on a set of carbs and have a running machine.
Try the kicker :lol: , it's been parked without carbs since before I met my wife. that was in 1997. yes the motor is froze. I keep hoping to find the carbs, but its not looking good, the family said "Joe" probably gave them away to someone in the "club" that needed them. The club was Chicago Regin BMW.
I poured some trans fluid in the sparkplug holes, I let it soak heat with heat gun, air pressure works 1/2 the time for me.
Oh, and i bet the slingers need cleaning too :lol:

kingcowie

Post by kingcowie »

That is a great project that someone will take on, what a find. Shame you are not located in Australia. :) Please let us know if you unfreeze it..
Shane
Wollongong, Australia
Tooo many projects —— oh well
53 R25/3 Project
57 R26 Project
62 R50/2 Restored
64 R50/2 Project
67 R69S Original
71 R75/5 Original
77 R100RS Project

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

The milage is 49k
Un freezing takes a while, fingers crossed.
this was parked in the back corner of the garage back in 97 when I met my wife. It had an inch of dust on it back then. I have been in that garage a million times (ok maybe not that many) I never knew this bike had a sidecar attached to it. the sidecar frame was full of fairings, tanks, tankbags, seats, and such. I do remember the grandchildren playing in the sidecar tub out on the grass. no bike, just the tub.
My mother in-law moved to an 74 R90/6 then to an 83 r100rs to match her husbands.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Some details that would be helpful - What is the final drive ratio and speedo ratio? If they are a matching sidecar set, that's excellent. Or maybe an non-'S' transmission? True sidecar bikes set up properly are very hard to find.

Dave
Dave

Parked 2Long

Post by Parked 2Long »

25/8 if I read it right. it's in my trailer, it's crowded, dirty, dark, and I have old eyes
Once I finish working on the R75/5 the r60 comes out. I did see the Steib tag its a S500. The R60 was ridden here in the flat lands of Illinois. no hills, straight roads. We do have Mt Prospect.. but that's a town. :lol:
"S" trans? how do you ID one?
I was going thru cabinets and came across a rearend gear set ...I think.

The R75 was purchased new and picked up in Germany and they toured for a month before Shipping it home.
At some point the TR500 sidecar was put on. I am betting the rearend is for the r75. I plan on bringing it home next trip.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

25/8 is the standard gearing. 27/7 would be the preferred final drive for an R60 with sidecar, I believe. Nice to have the matching speedo too. Turns out very few standard Earles bikes that had sidecars attached ever were converted to the correct sidecar gearing, let alone had matching speedos.

The 'S' stamped on the trans at the speedo outlet stands for Solo. If there is no stamped 'S', then it is likely a sidecar trans. You will almost certainly find the 'S' stamping. It's also stamped near the filler plug.

Dave
Dave