If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

RPM drops when clutch pulled

dellatorre6708

RPM drops when clutch pulled

Post by dellatorre6708 »

Got a R60/2 basket and rebuilt it. Runs great except... when I pull the clutch the RPM drops. Any thoughts?
Thanks. Frank.
NYC.
Frank,
NYC

schrader7032

Re: RPM drops when clutch pulled

Post by schrader7032 »

Not sure but I wonder if you can see the flywheel move when pulling on the clutch lever. With the engine not started, pull the plug for the timing hole. Actuate the clutch lever and watch the position of the flywheel.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

scottiesharpe

Post by scottiesharpe »

When rebuilding the engine, did you measure the fore/aft movement of the front crank bearing inside the bearing carrier?

It should be measured using feeler gauges.

BMW Provides several versions of the front carrier retaining plate with differing depths of the lip (retainer plate with the little oil tube sticking out of it, part number 11 11 0 002 174).

The fore aft movement of the bearing inside this plate should be minimized (0.003" max) by using a different size 174 plate, or by shimming the bearing. If the clearance is excessive, the crankshaft can move fore/aft when the clutch rod forces against the clutch main spring, causing the results you are experiencing, also the front slinger can rub against the back side of the carrier.

You can actually measure this item and service this item with the motor still mounted in the bike, but it's a pain.
Scottie Sharpe, Proprietor
Scottie's Workshop, 3282 E Hwy 4, Murphys CA
Full Service Workshop for vintage and classic BMW Motorcycles http://blog.scottiesharpe.com

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll use all of your info to hopefully remedy my concern.
Frank. NYC.
Frank,
NYC