If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Steib TR500 body dimensions

Flx48

Re: Steib TR500 body dimensions

Post by Flx48 »

Well done, Kees-
Your considerable efforts have certainly paid off beautifully; wonderful work!

As for braking, my outfit has the original setup, with s/c master cylinder integral within the bike rear brake rod.
It is a finicky system to keep in useful tune, but I want it to remain as original.

Years ago, when these were just old bikes and no s/c brake spares could be found, I started thinking about altering the brakes, and thought I might want a separate system like the track boys used, with its own brake pedal, all contained on the s/c; with the s/c pedal located right beside the bike's rear brake pedal, and modified to be in mirror image of the bike's rear brake pedal.
This using the rear brake pedal/mount/linkage from an Earles bike frame, with the pedal altered and mounted in mirror image to the bike's pedal.
A much simpler system to keep in good tune, while offering three options of brake use, (bike only, s/c only, or both together) and, no doubt, adaptable for either a mechanical or hydraulic system.

Again, great job and continued success as you proceed.

Best-
George

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

I have just such a set up on my R69S/Dnepr using a BMW brake pedal and a van handbrake cable actuating a Dnepr brake plate in a BMW hub, except, of course , that my brake pedal is next to the gearchange pedal.
I would not go back to unbŕaked or linked, the s/c brake is a great aid to steering and hitting all three brakes at once greatly improves emergency stopping, although youu need to counter the steering effect.
If you have the patience for the hydraulic linked system and can get it to work properly, then my hat goes off to you.
Oil is always cheaper than metal

Seek

Post by Seek »

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the brake, it probably will be a standalone brakepedal with hydraulic actuation of the sidecar brake. The integrated one like it was originaly from Steib would be wunderfull. But they are crazy expensive and I don’t think you can buy spareparts anymore. Especially the seals would be problematic.