If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bing carb issue

808Airhead

Re: Bing carb issue

Post by 808Airhead »

Absolutely follow Vech's advice. I use small flat file and file them down,I use a straight edge to confirm. Always tighten the screws holding the screwdriver with 3 fingers,not your fist. FINGER TIGHTEN THEM. 3 fingers is all you need on the screwdriver to get a good "cinch" on the float tops.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

plusvee

Post by plusvee »

Update:

I tried Vech's recommended method (thanks Vech!) but unfortunately it didn't work in my case. My float cover has a deformation that doesn't allow it (look at the photo), there would be too much metal to file to make it fit the float housing and I preferred to stop before removing "too much". However, I solved the problem of gasoline leaks (from the cover and screws underneath) by replacing all the original gaskets (which I had bought and installed new) with very common gasoline resistant O-rings costing few cents. No more gasoline on my shoes! Of course I would have preferred to keep the original gaskets, but sometimes in life it takes simple pragmatism. Should anyone have the same problem as me and be afraid to file down the carburetors or unable to do so because there would be too much metal to remove to make the parts fit together, the solution is this: O-rings. Simple and common O-rings. I thank everyone for the advice and hope this message of mine can be of help to someone.

p.s. during the test drive a mess happened, but I will tell you about it in a separate thread.
Attachments
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
Marco

R50/2; R60/2; R69S; R12; R71;

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

That last picture really shows a problem. The top is bowed with respect to the body. It shouldn't be like that. I could see where a gasket that didn't also incorporate the two screws holding the lid down could cause the ears to bend. Here's a picture of the gasket line on my R69S carb as it sits on the bike. The gasket covers all portions of the contact between the lid and the body.
Attachments
CarbGasket.jpg
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

plusvee

Post by plusvee »

Exactly. The deformation so pronounced is impossible to fix. The O-ring that fitted now leaves a gap under the screw, but considering that the cover is already bent, I didn't worry about that. The important thing is that it no longer leaks gas on the shoes.
Marco

R50/2; R60/2; R69S; R12; R71;