If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Bob W

Re: Just bought a R/80 at estate auction

Post by Bob W »

Normally Boxers self adjust oil level to about half way between full and low.

Bob

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Bob W wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:40 pm
Normally Boxers self adjust oil level to about half way between full and low.
Some of that might have to do with the quality of the oil and additives being used. IMO.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

20w50 is the correct viscosity for temperature above 35F. The real issue of oil nowadays is does it have the additive package of Zinc to prevent lifter wear? This package was taken out of oils for use in cars and bikes with catalytic converters.

Doubtful under average riding you would ever experience wear from not having it as long as the oil and filter are changed regularly per schedule.

Measure in 2.25liters of oil after you have changed the filter, and then start the bike. This is what is required maybe it reaches the full mark on the dipstick maybe not? I use the dipstick on my bike as an indicator of oil use, not the final determiner of how much oil to add. Over filling can cause oil to be blown out of the crank case.

Of course if you have a deep oil pan, ignore this.

I don't recall seeing the milage of this bike listed? I also don't recall if you did a compression test or not. Burning oil can of course be caused by worn rings. A compression test or better yet a leak down test will tell a lot about overall condition of the bike. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

The bike smokes a bit after sitting a week or so, but only on start up. No real smoke after first minute or so. A compression/leakdown test is on my list of thing to do.
Will post numbers when completed.
the bike just turned 40K miles. I have no reason to doubt the mileage.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Is the smoke from both sides or just one? Do you park it on the side stand or center stand? If the smoke is only the left side, that might be due to parking it on the side stand. One can minimize this a little by keeping the bike upright for a moment after coming to a stop at home to allow the oil to drain from the cylinder skirts into the sump. If it's both sides, could be issues with valve seals and oil is leaking into the combustion chamber. Could also be that the gaps in the rings are all in alignment and oil is working past those gaps.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Kurt, I love your comment about the rings all being lined up! LOL, my friend Jim bought a 79 R100RT that had just had "engine work" done by the previous owner. While the bike ran great for the test ride and was fairly decent, it was a mess mechanically. A BAD case of previous owner's disease!

PO, should have had his fingers tied together to keep him from working on his bike. He had bored the jugs and replaced with oversize pistons and rings but, he lined all the ring ends up in a line instead of spacing them. One side even had them at the bottom of the piston.

Oh yeah, it smoked. Fortunately no major harm was done and putting the rings in properly and allowing them to re break in stopped the smoke. St.

Jebones

Post by Jebones »

The smoke is from the left side, the low side when on side stand, and only upon start up. As you recall, the bike is a bear to get on the center stand. I inspected the stand and it is working properly. If I roll the front wheel up onto a 2x4 plank, it's much easier to get on the center stand. I think the forks are somehow short (collapsed). The previous owner was on the short side. Is it a thing to cut the springs? I posted some measurements of the front forks in a previous post.
On the center stand there is about 3 inches of free movement in the front forks before it reaches the spring.

Back to the oil issue. I added oil and brought it up to just below the full mark, while on the center stand. I then degreased the bottom end of the engine. Next day I notice a small puddle under the bike. Dripped for a few days and then stopped? Maybe a total of about 20 cc of oil. Will put the bike up on the lift and inspect to see if I can locate the leak, I don't believe its the pan.

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

The springs in my 3 bikes (R75/5, R90/6 and R60/7) are all the same length; 20.75" (+/- 53 cm). If your are shorter than this they may have been modified. I got new springs from Max BMW, I don't recall the cost but I don't think it was excessive. Also, do your forks move up and down smoothly. Mine on the R75/5 jammed a few years back and had to be rebuilt. When they were bad it was difficult to get it up on the stand.

On your oil leak, check the oil filter gasket.

Craig

srankin

Post by srankin »

Check the oil filter area for a leak before you run the bike anymore. A leak there could be a sign the O-ring or shim behind that plate is out of place. This is a bad design by BMW and if something is wrong there can mean a rapid loss of oil and oil pressure. A drip can become a torrent real fast.

Other areas that may be leaking are the push rod tubes, the oil pressure sender, main seal. Maybe I skimmed over your posts but I am not sure where you are seeing the oil drip? Middle of the bike, or off to one side?

Did you try measuring the oil as suggested? 2.25 Liters is the correct amount with a filter change on a stock oil pan.

Start up smoke from the left side when parked on the side stand is normal. St.