If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bring a Trailer R60/2 went for $36,250

Werner1111

Bring a Trailer R60/2 went for $36,250

Post by Werner1111 »

R69 R90/6 R100/7 R100S R1150GSA S2R1000

oligee7275

Re: Bring a Trailer R60/2 went for $36,250

Post by oligee7275 »

Wow!!
Judging by the before pictures the seller looks to have barely broken even.
I think the seller got that price because in the description it says they replaced the headlight and taillight bulbs.

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

And kept the original clutch,with unknown mileage

Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

therealkennyboy

Post by therealkennyboy »

From about $23K up, it was just a big d*ck contest between two determined bidders: maybe a $10 grand boost in the end price due to egos.
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

In my completely humble opinion, and not to offend anyone; I think thats way too much for that motorcycle and think the grey color is what sold it. I am also a stickler for originality and selling for that price as a non-original color was interesting and I think once things settle down the value will be diminished due to the color not being original.

Again, just my opinion!
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

malmac

Post by malmac »

jwonder wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:19 pm
In my completely humble opinion, and not to offend anyone; I think thats way too much for that motorcycle and think the grey color is what sold it. I am also a stickler for originality and selling for that price as a non-original color was interesting and I think once things settle down the value will be diminished due to the color not being original.

Again, just my opinion!
James

I think that is just grey undercoat and the buyer will get it painted to what ever colour they wish.

Even for a bike with fresh undercoat it is a noble price.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

WOW! That is an "eye popping" amount to pay for a so so restoration. Shinny hand controls that should have a mirror (clutch side) & turn signal switch (throttle side) or find the appropriate ones. A whole lot of stainless steel on the bike that didn't exist back in 1966. Did Karakoma supply fuel petcocks for BMW back in 1966? Black gas line? How about those nice but obviously reproduction tank badges. Along with those extra shiny hand controls are the horn, friction damper components and other painted black components that are way to shiny. In photo #48 I have to ask, What is the deal with the side stand spring attachment to the side stand? I still trying to figure out how much paint went on the frame, if you look at photo #18 it looks as though the painter wanted to empty his 1 gallon pressure pot on the frame with the serial number taped off until the final coat. It is truly amazing what some people will pay for a so called restoration.
BAT is a double edge sword in my opinion. Yes it seems to be driving price increases for Vintage and antique bikes, particularly BMW's but on the other hand there's a lot stuff being sold for high prices that just aren't worth it. These higher prices sometimes knock true enthusiasts out of the market for these bikes.

I wonder what my Bristol Grey R 69S would bring? Holt paint & pinstripes, Bench Mark drive line, Randy long heads and I have actually put about 2,000 miles on it since it was finished in 2008 or so. I think I might have used stainless steel exhaust hangers on it, shame on me. It isn't for sale so please don't ask.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

A few quick snapshots. I did find a couple "Fake Bolts" holding the rear fender stays so I dug through the stash and found a couple Karmax replacements. The bike has around 2,000 miles since it was done so there are some chips here and there along with a little tarnish on the cast and polished aluminum. I'm tempted to put some gas in it and go for a ride.
Attachments
Grey Bike 4.JPG
Grey Bike 2.JPG
Grey Bike 1.JPG
Grey Bike 3.JPG
Grey Bike 5.JPG

malmac

Post by malmac »

I here by offer an unreserved apology to all the people who own or like Bristol Grey colour schemes. On reflection I realised I have probably offended some folk by referring to the colour as grey undercoat.

Please accept my apology. I too often express out-spoken opinions which are not helpful. Please accept this apology.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Tinkertimejeff

No need to apologize

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

I've often explained my Grey Bike is light gray primer, I got tired of waiting for the finish so I had it striped and clear coated. It really does look like gray primer! It is absolutely stunning in proper lighting along side a Turf Green bike and in a proper setting, it's been there so Maybe someday!

This is a 15 year old restoration that has been ridden hard and put up wet more than a few times.