If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How much do you ride your classic ?

Darryl.Richman

Re: How much do you ride your classic ?

Post by Darryl.Richman »

cwf wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:16 pm
Did the R 52 get a bit breathless at 12,000 ft?
It did! The last couple miles up to that pass could only be done in 1st gear. I did carry a second main jet, soldered up and bored to a smaller diameter, in case I really had to have a leaner mixture, but it kept chugging along, so I didn't mess with it.

IMG_20140917_120243.jpg
--Darryl Richman

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

Not nearly enough! The R60 has been very reliable until the covid shutdown resulted in too much garage time with ethanol still in the carbs. The sidecar makes it a little less of a "jump on and go" option. I really want the R27 to be that bike, but until I can get it to where I can trust it to start hot or cold, it wont be. I'm toying with the idea of getting another twin without a sidecar to round out my little fleet. I've been watching R51s and R69s for a good deal that is in my wheelhouse financially and/or degree of difficulty for restoration.
David Worley
'62 R27, '67 R60/2 w/Steib S500 Sidecar
College Station, TX
USA

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Worleybird89 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:40 am
Not nearly enough! The R60 has been very reliable until the covid shutdown resulted in too much garage time with ethanol still in the carbs. The sidecar makes it a little less of a "jump on and go" option. I really want the R27 to be that bike, but until I can get it to where I can trust it to start hot or cold, it wont be.
My 1981 R65 is this bike in my collection. It's the same year as my first new motorcycle, and regardless of what people think of the R65, I love it. It's as light as a /2 and has 50hp, and handles very nicely. I have the dual front disks (an option in that year), so the braking is pretty good for the time period. A friend actually gave me the bike - it had stopped running, he had a new bike at the time, and he knew it was my first bike. It cost me $13 to buy a new Hall sensor and get it running again...
--Darryl Richman