If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Time to Play 'What Parts are Missing?' 1968 R60US

Tinkertimejeff

Re: Time to Play 'What Parts are Missing?' 1968 R60US

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

It wasn't uncommon for dealers to change the front end to Earles fork for a buyer that wanted that front end. There is also a possibility that the bike had been wrecked at one point and an Earles fork was the quickest and easiest way to get it back up an running.
Send the speedo out to have it cleaned and a new glass & bezel.
Bar end turn signals weren't standard in '68 but they can be bought for about $200 for the good ones.
The tool box lid is probably a replacement part after that large dent was inflicted on the top of the gas tank. Dover White is a fairly easy paint color to match so any competent paint shop, should be able to do it and get it close.
You can buy a set of accessory finned exhaust nuts from a few different vendors, you just have look.
US style bars are out there but for the most part you will get reproduction bars. Feiling handle bars offered by Vech (now MAX BMW) are the closest to original but you may have trim a little bit off the bar ends to get them to the correct width.
Your big challenge will be to find the correct and compatible US for parts in order to return the bike to the factory configuration if that is what you want to do.

jeffrey

Post by jeffrey »

Tinkertimejeff wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:40 am
Yes there are two (2) versions of the large sport tank for /2's. A trained eye can tell by looking, untrained need a side by side comparison.
Can you elaborate a little more about the differences between the two tanks?

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

The 'US' big tank is much more tapered from the front mount, presumably to clear the US forks at full lock. The standard big tank is much more 'bulbous' from the front mounting area as viewed from the top.

Dave
Dave

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Exactly! I found out the almost hard way when I stuck a freshly painted and striped Earles fork sport tank on my freshly restored R 60US. I heard the Tink! Tink! noise while moving the bike to a new spot in the garage. Lucky me, no dent or paint damage and a small modification to the steering stop plate and its been good ever since. I can tell by looking at the tank now it is fused in what little mind I have left.