If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60 oddball kickstart problem

bmw_dave

R60 oddball kickstart problem

Post by bmw_dave »

Some of the R50/R60 kickstarters occasionally "lock up" when used. Usually a quick fan of the clutch will free it up, until it happens again! A '66 R60/2 came into the shop recently with this problem, and would lock up about every 4 times I used the kicker. On dissassembly, I found that the "leading" edge of the segment gear was damaged and flattened out, and the leaf spring was worn at the end. I replaced the segment gear and idler gear, re-assembled the transmission with new bearings and seals, and tried the kicker on the workstand. Worked great, never locked, just like BMW intended! I installed the unit back into the bike, put it all back together, and was ready for that ride (hadn't been run in 5 years). The kickstart locked on the first try, and the second try, etc., and just wouldn't work. I can hear the leaf spring "clicking" as I push the lever down, but still locks every time! I took it back out of the bike, put it on the stand, and it works perfectly. The engine turns over freely by the rotor bolt, and won't turn over at all with the kickstarter, even with the plugs out. Any ideas out there?

Slash2

Re: R60 oddball kickstart problem

Post by Slash2 »

I’ve encountered the former issue on a few occasions and this was corrected with the installation of a fresh segment gear. I recall Chris Betjemann referring to “hanging the gear box” and not liking the way it hung and having to reinstall. It’s been too long to recall the full story but it definitely sounds like you’ve got or potentially have two issues. The worn segment gear will present your issue but locking only upon installation sounds like it may be a completely separate issue.

I’ll stay tuned for more informed responses. Good luck.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

When installing back cover, the kick start lever has to be depressed somewhat IIRC.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

FL54

Post by FL54 »

I have the same issue on an R50/2 and I’be kind of learned to live with it. I find that if I don’t let the kickstart lever return all the way, it works better but you don’t get a full stroke. Will be interested in hearing the solution.
Central Oregon

bmw_dave

Post by bmw_dave »

Oh, I did replace the idler and segment gears with new Siebenrock parts.

agloeckle

Post by agloeckle »

I know I am very late to this party, but I have the EXACT same problem description that Dave posted 2 years ago.
Can anyone tell me if there was ever a solution found.
Thanks.
Art

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Art-
I posted a reply to Trig's kickstart thread last year, that may help you out.
(unless your problem is as Dave's second issue, with the rebuilt segment/idler not able to roll the engine over)

viewtopic.php?t=18201

Best-
George

agloeckle

Post by agloeckle »

Thanks, George!
I spent $2,600 for Max BMW to overhaul and restore the transmission for this '68 R69S only to discover the locking issue once I rebuilt the motor, installed it in the newly painted frame, and began installing pistons, cylinders, etc. It will take me a while to digest all the technical language in your reply. I've just printed it out and will get started on it.
Thanks again.
Art

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

$2600? For a gearbox rebuild!!??

Yikes…
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire