If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Carbs from China

San Arthur

Re: Carbs from China

Post by San Arthur »

@Gossamer

Is the real value of the carbs just because of the part numbers matching to the original bike?

While there have been advances in technology the original parts were specifically design to run your engine at optimal conditions. Also all original accessories and parts inter connected will fit properly.
If working properly I would prefer to have the original set of carbs for my motorcycle and some will pay good money to have the correct part. Check this out.

Rare! BING 1/26/69-/70 carburetor set BMW EARY R69S (R68 R69) https://ebay.us/bnVBwn

In early machines I think it would be almost impossible to match a carburetor serial number (if any) to its original bike, but you could narrow a part number to a particular model and/or years of production.

Are there options for replacement carbs should the need ever arise to have to replace one or both?

There are several options to replace the original carbs. New old models, reproductions, repaired, new original and even, with modifications, different brands like Mikuni.

Keep them original!
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

Gossamer

carb options

Post by Gossamer »

thank you for your response.

I have no intention of modifying just if something were to happen, such as a low speed accident damaged one beyond repair.

Just wanted to know if there are options for replacement in a worst case scenario.

Don't want the bike as a giant paper weight because I don't have a carb anymore.

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Gossamer, you can always find carbs on German eBay.

So, go ride your bike and have fun without worries!!!
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Gossamer

WORRIES?

Post by Gossamer »

What if having fun includes me worrying about what could go wrong? :D

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

@Gossamer
With vintage bikes the fun begins worrying about being able to leave the garage under its own propulsion...

I you worry so much I suggest you get a second or third vintage BMW, you are going to be too busy to have time to worry.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD