If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R51/3 fitted with Jim Vonkas & Petere Gibbs style oil filter (photo included)

Ole Guy

R51/3 fitted with Jim Vonkas & Petere Gibbs style oil filter (photo included)

Post by Ole Guy »

After seeing the Jim Vonkas & Petere Gibbs oil filter setups years ago, I wanted one. Other than seeing a few photos I could not find any more information, so I started from the beginning. Went to Wal-Mart and opened a bunch of FRAM filters for size and decided the CH6015 was the one. It is probably the smallest one. It is fitted on numerous motorcycles, including a late model BMW 650. All these machines use a compression spring to press the filter in snugly and none of them have the filter mounted on the bottom. Fitting a spring in against gravity needs something sticky, so I found a round 5/8” magnet did the trick nicely. A center mark in the oil pan lines it up and there is enough clearance to be off a little.
Getting the assembly to fit without dipstick interference was challenging. Placing the assembly centered puts it against the oil dip stick and vibration would cause metal chaffing, so I offset it for clearance. Before cutting any metal I made a few wooden mock-ups to get the dimensions right – it was as tight as fitting the crank in. Between the sides and round curve on the pan, there is hardly any room to spare. To clear the dipstick it is positioned as far rear as possible with about 3/16th clearance. My dip stick was bent and circled far to the outside bring it very close, so that makes a possibility it could lightly touch. To ensure dipstick clearance, you must check that it is not bent or touches the filter bell housing when seated tightly. Once set, there is plenty of clearance.
The oil filter fits on a 12mm fitting that is part of the engine casting on the motorcycle engines I looked up, so I had to make one. I used a 12mm hex bolt and drilled it out and turned the 14mm head down to 12 mm using a grinder, file, fine paper, and half of one night.
Now that it is ready to go, I am excited to get it on the road. Attached it a photo, hope it appears. I see a link I attached, but after posting, I did not see the photo or link.
[img=4128x3096]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jYoElY ... sp=sharing[/img]
Attachments
oil_filter_assembly_1_small.jpg
oil_filter_assembly_1_small.jpg (271.43 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Ole Guy
1954 R51/3

malmac

What a nice Job

Post by malmac »

I knew Peter Gibbs quite well and as anyone who knew him would undoubtedly say, "we miss him."

However I did get one of his filter housings off him and have yet to fit it to an engine.

Your adaptation looks good and I hope it works to your satisfaction.
How often do you expect you will change the filter?

Mal
Australia.
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Ole Guy

Oil filter change frequency

Post by Ole Guy »

Mal,
First, my condolences to Peter Gibbs’ family and friends. I did not have the pleasure of meeting him. His oil filter adaption was brilliant and an inspiration to me.
I'll change the filter with each 2000 mile oil change for the maximum slinger ring protection.
Ole Guy
San Angelo, Texas
Ole Guy
1954 R51/3

Daves79x

Apparently

Post by Daves79x »

I assume this set-up has proven workable in actual service? My concern would be if these engine's oil pumps produce enough oil pressure to feed (or suction) through a filter. I'm probably missing something, but if it works, it works.

Dave
Dave

schrader7032

IIRC Vech got one of the

Post by schrader7032 »

IIRC Vech got one of the versions of Peter's filter setups and did some testing. His concern was pressure drop across the filter as well as a feasible pressure relief system if the filter gets clogged. He did some testing and in the end was not comfortable with the design and was concerned for potential problems.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Ole Guy

Years ago, IIRC Vech and I

Post by Ole Guy »

Years ago, IIRC Vech and I communicated via email about this filter setup. He was more concerned about the absence of a pressure relief valve and more so about liability if a customer didn’t keep up with maintenance and blew an engine because of a clogged filter. He didn’t say what model filter he was talking about. The FRAM CH6015 and its cousins have a 15lb pressure relief. He went on to say he just didn’t have time to follow up on this idea and in his business experimental ideas on a customer’s motorcycle come with liability, so he discontinued further follow-up. I took that to mean it will be up to others to follow-up and prove the oil filter concept. As we all know Jim Vonkas & Petere Gibbs successfully completed road testing. The pleated surface area of a cartridge filter is far greater than the stock filter and so far appears to be working well in a few machines. I’ll certainly keep you posted of my results once I get it on the road - hopefully soon.
Ole Guy
1954 R51/3

Ole Guy

Addressing flow drag

Post by Ole Guy »

Vonkas and Gibbs both road tested this idea years ago. I am just getting around to making one and thought many more were already in use. I kind of thought all these question were settled, so I went back and looked up the old links. If there is new information I missed it.
To address possible flow restriction and is it workable, I had to go way back to 2008 to find this old message where Vonkas inspects his filter after road testing. His post (Fri, 05/30/2008 - 17:13) is at his link: http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/5337 Fri, 05/30/2008 - 17:13. He found no sign of a flow restriction.

My observations of flow: The oil intake diameter where the stock oil filter is attached is 9/32”. It has an area of 0.062 inches. The stock screen area is about 2.6 inches. The pleated area of the FRAM filter is about 25 inches. These numbers make me feel comfortable.

Just to get a very rough idea of flow, today I used a shop vacuum and sucked air through various combinations using a vacuum gauge: 0 - 70 cm – Hg. The max pull was with the end of the vacuum hose closed off with my hand was 8. Dangling the vacuum gauge tube down the vacuum hose it pulled 2. Both the stock and FRAM filter without the adapter plates pulled 4. Both the stock filter and Fram filter on the adapter plates pulled 5. So it seems the 4 additional 90 degree turns add some drag. It is my assumption all will be fine. If the sound of strain in the vacuum motor against drag was any indication it did not change with any of the various combination other than being completely closed off. In my studies of plumbing, 90 degree bends do increase flow drag. I did consider running copper tubing so there would only be one 90 degree bend, but in the end just went as is. I take comfort in knowing Vonkas and Gibbs have proven this concept with road testing, so my conclusion or best hunch is it will be okay.
Ole Guy
1954 R51/3

vonkas

Oil Filter

Post by vonkas »

After seeing the Jim Vonkas & Petere Gibbs oil filter setups years ago, I wanted one.

Hi Ole, looking at your photo of filter arrangement, it has good similarity to my original design. Peter was keen to make it on his CNC mill and the result was his enterprise to market the filter holder. I believe that my prototype is at least as functional and has proven its worth well & truly, going strong after all this time with the bike having travelled thousands km without a hitch.

By the way, initially I conducted extensive flow tests. The most significant worst case scenario was on the bench with cold single grade W50 oil, lifting with half submerged filter suspended from a 10cm hose and turning the pump slowly at less than idle running speed with an electric drill. This was repeated without a filter. There was no perceivable difference in the in the volume of oil flowing from an exit in the gallery. It took a while longer for the system to be primed but that was negated when in the closed engine with a fully submerged filter. My setup does not have the bell like yours and Peter's, which potentially makes it easier to prime from a fully drained oil pan.

I hope yours is still in the bike and chugging along nicely.

Cheers, Jim Vonkas
Attachments
jimvanabelle.jpg
jimvanabelle.jpg (100.74 KiB) Viewed 2131 times