If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R62 Gearbox

Darryl.Richman

R62 Gearbox

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Other than gaskets and the input spline, I don't recall seeing many parts available as repros. Dreher would be my main source. You might ask Leszek Lyzwinski (http://www.oldtimergarage.szn.pl), he can sometimes get things that are not mentioned on his web site.

What's making the noise in your trans? Bearings might be available at a bearing house. While 1st and 3rd are constant mesh, 2nd is a "crashbox" gear and will certainly show some rounding of the teeth. (When you move the shift lever, you're directly moving 2nd gear back and forth on the output shaft.) People tell me that I shouldn't worry about this...

Do take care not to strip the threads in the case while tightening up the screws through the top cover. All but one of mine are oversize...

You're lucky if your motor is quiet, the gear train in front can make a lot of racket.
--Darryl Richman

1961peter

R62 Gearbox

Post by 1961peter »

Darryl,

Thanks for the reply.
I am not sure what is causing the gearbox noise.
Tried listening through a screw driver to pinpoint the source but it sounded bad no matter which part of the casing I listened to.
I did not try shifting gears, only running the bike in neutral.
This implies a problem with the constant mesh gears as the noise does not sound like a bearing.
I'm sure it will be obvious once dismantled.

Regards,

Peter.
Peter Barnett

VBMWMO

R62 Gearbox

Post by VBMWMO »

Curiosity got the better of me and I tried to start the R62.
The previous owner had said the motor was noisy when running.
To my surprise it started easily, and the motor ran well with no noises,
but the same cannot be said of the gearbox which did not sound happy.
So the gearbox will need to be dismantled.
My questions are:
Does the gearbox have any quirks or parts that can be damaged during dismantling or assembly if done in the wrong order?
Does anyone supply parts, or will worn parts have to be manufactured or repaired locally?

Regards,

Peter.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.