If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R35

schrader7032

R35

Post by schrader7032 »

You might want to search this site...actually I did and found some "cautions" provided by Darryl...

http://vintagebmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73

http://vintagebmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=274

Depending on what you're after, it might be difficult to find a "true" R35...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Meridius

R35

Post by Meridius »

Thanks for that info. I guess finding one of these old bikes is more complicated than I thought; especially when it comes to the R35. I was also under the impression that a nice R35 costs around $3000-$5000. Is this correct? I'm not looking for a project; I'm already waistdeep in a Porsche resoration and all of my funds and extra time are being sucked into that :wink: .

schrader7032

R35

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't really follow bikes this old, but a couple of data points... A 1949 R35 went for $3650 about 6 months ago - web page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage- ... dZViewItem

Also, Mid America has auctions in Las Vegas. The last one in 2006 had an R35 for sale at, gulp, $9000.

http://www.midamericaauctions.com/showa ... &PersonID=

So there's quite a range of prices...

Hopefully, these links will work...otherwise you may have to cut-n-paste...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Bruce Frey

R35

Post by Bruce Frey »

While there are a lot of R35 out there, you will not find them under every bush. Most of the time bikes are sold by private collectors/restorers, so it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

If you are going to Munich, I suspect you will visit BMW. I do not know if the Museum has been reopened, but I would make a point to contact Fred Jacobs or Andreas Harz at Mobile Tradition and maybe visit them. They may have some leads.

R35 are still the "budget" prewar bike ("budget" being a relative term theses days) because there were a lot of them made by BMW (15,386) through 1940 and some 80,000 or so made by Eisenacher MotorenWerke (EMW) after the war. This is where the problem lies.

Until 1949, when BMW legally prevailed in preventing their name from being used, the R35 being produced by EMW were branded as BMW. The early postwar bikes were built using mostly surplus prewar parts.....so, are these BMW or not?

While there is nothing wrong with an EMW, you should at least know what you are getting .

Here is what to look for:
Frame numbers - 300001-315654
Engine numbers - 300001-315387
Engine and frame numbers may, or may not match.
Engine and frame numbers should have a BMW Roundel stamped before and after the number. Beware, many numbers have been restamped.

BMW used a cast aluminum front brake plate. Later production used a stamped steel plate. Later EMW (their /3 model) had foot shift and rear suspension...a dead give a way.

In any case, if you are interested in an R35 (or any bike, for that matter), have patience and do not succumb to "instant gratification." Look for the right bike. If you are just want something to ride that looks cool, condition is more important than BMW or EMW badges.

Enjoy your trip and good luck.

Bruce

Darryl.Richman

R35

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Listen to Bruce, he's the voice of reason here. Unfortunately, the BMW museum is closed for renewal until spring of '08, though I understand that BMW has a small exhibit somewhere in the Olympiapark. And, Fred Jakobs will be in the US for the BMW MOA national rally this weekend; don't know his schedule otherwise.
--Darryl Richman

Meridius

R35

Post by Meridius »

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful information. I'll post back when I find something.

BMWR12

R35

Post by BMWR12 »

Like they said before just dont jump on something that sounds fishy. Take your time and plan for the day to strike. Always becareful of the fakes out there. I was in the same boat when it came to my R12.I wanted one in the worst way. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. I was able to land a solo R12 with the engine,gearbox,and rear recently restored by Vech for $8,200. I recently aquired another R12 I plan to start to restore later this year.

VBMWMO

R35

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi everyone, I have wanted a BMW R35 for a long time and have finally decided to try and find one. We are leaving for Germany in a couple of days and I was actually hoping to find one over there and ship it back to the states. Is this a reasonable idea or will it be next to impossible to find one? We will be in the Munich area; any ideas on where to look?

Thank you,
Meridius
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.