If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

A quiz with a prize!

Barry Robin

A quiz with a prize!

Post by Barry Robin »

hey, i think you got it there, darryl! as soon as i sae the word the dim light bulb went on...

oh well- at least i got the second question about the nonferrous material verus the magnetic exposed magnets!

darn! and that notebook was looking really tasty.

-b

Peter D. Nettesheim

A quiz with a prize!

Post by Peter D. Nettesheim »

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!! The name is Tombac and Bosch is specific about this material for the application. Since anybody can now look up the compenents, I will give it to you as 80% copper and 20% Zinc. It is non ferrous to conform to Bosch requirements that the magnets of the magneto not have ferrous material against them. I needed to know this when I was faced with replacing one.
Darryl, give me Saschas address so I can send him the shirt (to bad you gave away your source and too bad he is so far away, the shipping is going to be more than the shirt!).
As the mediator and officer, you had to know you were not eligible to win, right??.

Is everybody ready for another quiz???

Peter D. Nettesheim
bmwmuseum@hotmail.com

Darryl.Richman

A quiz with a prize!

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Peter, I didn't have a clue about the name of the material, so I wasn't participating. But I was Skyping with Sascha this morning and mentioned it, so he told me what it was. Besides, I figured everyone had had a couple days at it...

I will PM you with Sascha's address.
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

A quiz with a prize!

Post by schrader7032 »

Wikipedia says more like 90/10...if it can be trusted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombac

Next quiz??

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

bmwmyplace

A quiz with a prize!

Post by bmwmyplace »

Well we must really like in a backwater here, I have been around for a few years now and never heard of Tombac , well you learn something every day , I wonder if Dreher and his friends in Polland have gone to the trouble of making their replacement straps out of Tambac.... probably not

Speaking of Poland has anyone ever bought timing gears for flat tankers from Leszek, I have ordered a set for my R42 as mine worry me with the amount of clatter, Im really not game to ride it any distance as it is , way to precious to my mind. Peter G any comments please.

VBMWMO

A quiz with a prize!

Post by VBMWMO »

OK you vintage experts. Here is a quiz for those of you that love the pre-war BMW's. As this Forum is dedicated to these early models, I have no resistence to asking this very specific question. I am also doing so to help any others who struggle with some of the same problems I have run into. The first to answer the question correctly wins a "Mobile Tradition Team " shirt that was used at last years Vermont rally. I have a few left in a variety of sizes. You pay the few dollars shipment. BMWNA pays for the shirt. Here we go.......

What is the name of the material Bosch and BMW recommend to be used to make the strap that holds the magneto onto the R42,47,52,63,57,12,11,17......
and why is this strap not made of steel?

You need to answer both parts to win and please be advised that the material has a very specific name, not just like "a mixture of brass and something else".

The clock is ticking. Any answers from you pros??? And I do mean pros.

Peter D. Nettesheim
bmwmuseum@hotmail.com
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.