If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R12s First Rally

Darryl.Richman

R12s First Rally

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Peter, you're an inspiration to us all. ;-)

110 miles is a long ride on one of these bikes, and it certainly increases your confidence in the work you've done!
--Darryl Richman

VBMWMO

R12s First Rally

Post by VBMWMO »

Well I attended my first Rally with the R12 this weekend. I packed up the "ute" as we call them sort of a sedan with a pickup body on it akin to an el Camino
http://www.seriouswheels.com/2006/2006- ... 80x960.htm

anyway loaded the R12 on the trailer and away to a destination 3 and half hours from home where the traffic is less and the roads are single lane , no not one lane each way just one lane, if a vehicle comes towards you size wins :)

although the roads are sealed they are many years old and as bunpy as hell, (its red soil country and therefore poor foundations) oh and some of them are gravel so you get to experience roads of 60 years ago on a 60 year old bikes or in some cases nearly 100 year old bikes , many were restored some were not but all were ridden in earnest. about 60 bikes in all.
One rider on a 1950s rig was 80 years old. I think our oldest regular riders is 82 years old.

Unfortunately there area is in drought as is most of Australia at the moment so it was a little dusty . The route took us over the Bunya Mountains not very high , you could hardly call it a mountain really only about 1500 ft. but full of very old trees and it made a pleasent ride although it tested the engines and brakes on some bikes ..... I made it to
the top with only one gear change. (but I have sidecar gearing )

http://www.bunyamountains.com/

In all the run was for about 110 miles. the bike ran like a champ even though still a little rich. and a sore ass... Very pleased ...so whats next, hmmm perhaps the R17 :D stay safe yall Regards Peter
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.