If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Prewar Numbers

EuroIron

Prewar Numbers

Post by EuroIron »

I am aware that frame numbers for non-post 69 hd bikes should be reflected on the title...... to comply FEDERALLY....... state by state be dayum'd

however, I am asking, if you bought, new, a prewar BMW, would BMW and the Germans have titled and registered it by it's frame or engine?

btw...... I generally regard bikes having an engine title that isn't an earlier HD......... as having no title and I scrutinize the frame numbers carefully

seen too many swinging from a boom pole during bike week and such

I've no interest whatsoever in selling this stuff to anyone who doesn't know what they are looking at, and thank you again.

Bruce Frey

Prewar Numbers

Post by Bruce Frey »

I have never seen a German prewar registration document, so I do not know. They are advertised for sale periodically on eBay but I have never really looked at them.

I have, however, purchased prewar bikes from Germany and Holland and in both cases the frame number was used on the then current registration documents.

Best regards,

Bruce

EuroIron

Prewar Numbers

Post by EuroIron »

ok, the engine fonts for sure are larger and different on the prewar engines

I'd guess the frame fonts were as well from what the acid is revealing

thanks guys

VBMWMO

Prewar Numbers

Post by VBMWMO »

Correct...a pre-1941 R66 would not have matching numbers.

I cannot tell you if the postwar fonts match the prewar. (I am only vaguely aware that motorcycle manufacture continued after WWII ;-)

Just to confuse matters further, the Russian M72 and Chinese Chiang Jiang frames are almost identical to the BMW plunger frames from which they were copied.

Based on observations of bikes being marketed in Europe, it is very possible that someone has created a good set of prewar stamps, complete with rondels. I used to believe that any stamp that had good rondels was likely authentic. Today, I am less sure. I have not followed the post-war re-stamp situation other than I hear that it is being done.

Frame numbers usually govern, but that really depends on the DMV in each state.

If you are selling this stuff, please represent it honestly.

Best regards,

Bruce
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.