If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R26 - new clutch, no difference…

jgreen

R26 - new clutch, no difference…

Post by jgreen »

Hello folks, I put a new clutch disc in my 1956 r26. I was having an issue were the only year that seem to work was first gear, and it felt like I was a neutral and all of the other gears.

I took the clutch anssembly apart, and the clutch was glazed and greasy.

I put a new clutch disc in, cleaned up all the metal surfaces, and put it all back together.

On the one hand, first gear really catches now. None of the other gears, however, seem to engage – It hasn’t made a difference.

At this point, there’s got to be something going on inside the transmission.

You should know that I got this bike pretty much as a basket case, and I never did take the transmission apart. I suspect the bike had been crashed onto the left side, based upon certain damage that I found on the bike, and the lack of parts, such as a muffler, and a fractured rear passenger peg mount, all on the left side.

I took everything apart again, the transmission is out, so I think I or someone who actually knows what they’re doing may have to tear into this transmission.

Any thoughts?

jgreen

Re: R26 - new clutch, no difference…

Post by jgreen »

Wait- did some more checking; I think the outer clutch plate is worn. I understand that it wears conically. So check out the old plate and new disc….
Attachments
IMG_1499.jpeg
IMG_1494.jpeg
IMG_1490.jpeg

Seek

Post by Seek »

Yeah they all do this. The clutch plate itself also wears conical so it doesn't realy matter until you put a new clutchplate in.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Does it wear or bend? The outside edge is firmly supported, but the middle not so much.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

The plate bends over time. The Barrington manual discusses this problem and how to make it flat again with a large press but it will probably bend easier the second time. I am rebuilding a 1956 R26 and ended up replacing the clutch parts with the new ones that are still available.
Jim