If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Schorsch Meier Sport tank cover

jeffrey

Schorsch Meier Sport tank cover

Post by jeffrey »

I'd like to have a cover for my tank for multi day trips and general protection. I've had a look through the archives and found some info for a tank top bra/cover, but nothing for a full tank cover.

Ages ago, I had a nice vinyl padded cover for a 90S that worked great. Kept the road grit off the tank in funky weather.

Anybody ever seen a cover for a Sport tank?

Yes... I know I can take the tank to an upholstery shop but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it. Finding an old cover to use as a pattern would be a good start.

Thanks.

Slash2

Re: Schorsch Meier Sport tank cover

Post by Slash2 »

They are out there. Last year when looking at a collection for sale in the DC area I noted an R69S with a full leather sport tank cover which incorporated a tidy cover for the toolbox which opened independently. I had hopes of making a deal on the bike but it had been restored about 15 years ago and then left in a damp garage. The seller wanted what it was worth when it was first restored, as opposed to what it was worth covered in plenty of corrosion and rust. He had at least 15 other bikes all in similar condition. I’m sure they’ll all still there.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

maddrobh

Post by maddrobh »

I note that you want a full tank cover. Having looked at my tank cover, that came with the bike but I have never used, I understand what you mean by a 'bra' cover. I've attached a couple of pictures in case they are of interest to anyone. The cover is made of (synthetic) leatherette, leather and green felt. I only know of one other R69S in Scotland (a beautiful, restored bike with sidecar), so I have no idea whether tank covers are common generally.
20230102_160227_resized.jpg
20230102_160142_resized.jpg
20230102_160132_resized.jpg

jeffrey

Post by jeffrey »

Thanks for those pics. That is really close to what I am looking for. I've never seen one like that. Usually the "bra" style covers cover only the top of the tank.

Are there any maker's labels anywhere on that cover? Any idea where it came from?

R68

Post by R68 »

The original as marketed by Butler and Smith in the 60's was made by a french company, Voguesport, was of high quality leather, with green felt liner and did not cover the tank as shown here. I sold a nice one off few years ago, they tend not to do well with abuse, getting wet, mold, etc ? Nice item for someone with a dented tank top?
Has anyone ever seen a "lap apron"? I think this was an accessory used with a Heinrich lower fairing???
Attachments
IMG_6356.jpg

vezzetti30

Post by vezzetti30 »

I Have an original tank Cover & a re-pro.

You can still buy them from Blue Moon Cycles. They're in their vintage parts catalogue at $169.

Good luck.

Skip Vezzetti #30

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

My Dad had one on his Meier tank in the 1970's, it came from a firm called Tank Tectors in Lochgoilhead, Argyll, Scotland, I know this because I bought two covers off them in the 1980's, one for a Norton and one for a Velocette, IIRC, they went out of business about the millenium.
Oil is always cheaper than metal

jeffrey

Post by jeffrey »

Thanks, gents. I consider the B&S and the Blue Moon covers as more of a 'bra' than cover. Maybe a true full cover doesn't exist.

Finding an old 'bra' style cover for cheap to use as a pattern would be a good start...

maddrobh

Post by maddrobh »

Glad the pictures were of use.
Reading Skip Vezzatti's rely above, I remembered that the bike was bought from Blue Moon Cycle of Norcross Ga by the previous British owner. Included in the paperwork I got with the bike is a receipt for the tank cover for US$169. The cover is still listed in the Blue Moon catalogue that I downloaded a year or so ago. My wife and I debated whether the cover is all leather or part leatherette, it probably is all leather. I must try it out once the weather warms up and the roads are clear of salt.
BM_tank_cover.JPG