If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

wheel swap, for tread wear balance!

Andrew

wheel swap, for tread wear balance!

Post by Andrew »

Hi, just wondered if anyone here changes their wheels over [front to back] so the tread wears evenly , the rear tyre wears much more quickly than the front. ive just done it on my R67 , it also allows the brakes to bed in with the hubs too. Just a thought, be interested in what others think.

niall4473

Re: wheel swap, for tread wear balance!

Post by niall4473 »

I think it is not a good idea.
The wheels were made interchangeable so that you could carry a spare wheel on a sidecar outfit.
Swapping wheels about on a car is mainly to counteract the effects of camber on the tyres, by swapping the offside front with the nearside rear, for example. The R67 has both brakes on the same side, so the camber-effect would be the same.
Once a drum brake has bedded in, it would be a bad idea to make it bed in to a different drum, you would just be wearing away your linings and having sub-optimal brakes for no good reason.
Many motorcycle tyres have to be mounted opposite ways around front or back because of the stresses and the way the tyres carcass is laid up, so putting a front on the back without turning it around could be dangerous.
I would not bother.
Oil is always cheaper than metal

scottiesharpe

Post by scottiesharpe »

Not recommended. Your brake linings bed into the drums and should stay mated for the life of the lining. Furthermore, the wear that you get on the front and rear tires causes strange handling when the tires are reversed. If a tire wears out, just buy a new tire. On most of my bikes, for every new front tire I wear out, I usually wear out two rears.
Scottie Sharpe, Proprietor
Scottie's Workshop, 3282 E Hwy 4, Murphys CA
Full Service Workshop for vintage and classic BMW Motorcycles http://blog.scottiesharpe.com

skychs

Post by skychs »

After replacing some broken spokes on my R60 (sidecar) i thought it was a good idea to swap (rotate) the wheels. The rear brakes settled in fine but the front brakes have never been the same. I wish I had left them alone.
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA