If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Kicking off my R68 restoration

Martyb

Kicking off my R68 restoration

Post by Martyb »

Hi all, well it's time to start my R68 restoration and in fact I've started but more on that later. A little bit of background info.. I've been restoring later models, mainly /2's and R69s' for the past few years and I think with each one they're getting better and easier to complete probably as a result of my knowledge and skills improving which you would like to think that would be the case.

Late last year a R68 came up for auction here in Australia and to cut a long story short I managed to be the last man standing. I've had confirmation from BMW (that was a process) and the bike was manufactured late 1952 with delivery early 1953. The bike had been a one owner who had travelled around NZ and parts of Australia on it for approx 12 years. At that time the owner stopped riding the bike (around 1965 was the last registration) and its been sitting in a garage ever since.

My plan for the restoration is to make it as original as I possibly can and with the ultimate goal to ride it and not just keep it locked away.

My research and hunting around at this stage is:

1. the tank is incorrect. I now have a correct one that I purchased from Europe. Need to source a petcock
2. Exhausts are obviously incorrect
3. I know the suggestion is to go wider hubs and aluminum wheels but my understanding is the early models came out with narrow hubs and steel rims.
4. The front fender will be relatively simple to get back into shape. The rear fender will take a little work.
5. The tail light seems to be for a later version where it had the stop light component but not sure if that was an Australian requirement.
6. The air filter is correct but again for a 53/54 model... Therefore I'm wondering if mine was bordering on the older/newer models hence the difference. I cant imagine within the 12 years it was being used the owner swapped out tail light, air filter etc
7. Carbs are the correct numbers
8. the triple clamp shouldn't be chrome it should be black ( I believe)
9. Headlight bucket needs a bit of work
10. Speedo needs some work
11. I'm guessing the horn is the correct one.

I do have the Barringtons manual and that covers a lot of the detail but if anyone has thoughts or feedback on what else is not necessarily original that will help me start hunting for parts which I'm sure will take time.

If there's enough interest in this forum I'm happy to continue to share my journey (the good and the bad) on restoring this classic.

Cheers

Martin
Attachments
1953-bmw-r68-600cc-motorcycle (12).jpg
1953-bmw-r68-600cc-motorcycle (13).jpg
1953-bmw-r68-600cc-motorcycle (18).jpg
1953-bmw-r68-600cc-motorcycle (8).jpg
1953-bmw-r68-600cc-motorcycle (20).jpg
1953-bmw-r68-600cc-motorcycle (14).jpg
1953-bmw-r68-600cc-motorcycle (6).jpg

Slash2

Re: Kicking off my R68 restoration

Post by Slash2 »

I for one fully encourage any and every inclination to maintain a thorough record of your journey here for us to enjoy and follow along throughout your restoration process. The R68 is of course a much coveted machine and as most us will never own one, following the journey vicariously through you will have to do.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Chris
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

stwilliams

Post by stwilliams »

I strongly suggest you consider only a mechanical restoration. From the pictures it looks quite solid. New tubes and tires, grease wheel bearings. Rebuild shocks with new seals and make sure the stanchions aren't pitted. The motor and trans will likely need a going through, but resist the temptation to blast the housings. Many of the fasteners look correct. Even the additions to the front fender are "Period Correct" and don't detract from the appearance. You'll likely need a new headlight chrome ring, and of course glass. But you can even find a chrome ring with some patina to match the rest. You will save alot of money, and in the end have an "original" R68. Just my opinion.

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Martin,

It looks quite original but very well used. If you are to do a full restoration on it, I and others can help. I just finished a complete restoration on mine. Mine was made in March of 1953 and is half hub like yours. Please make sure you listen to several opinions (including my own) and then make your judgement call from there on how to restore it and what parts are "correct". See below for my interpretation.
Martyb wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:14 pm
My research and hunting around at this stage is:

1. the tank is incorrect. I now have a correct one that I purchased from Europe. Need to source a petcock

Original style petcocks are available at: https://www.oldtimervergaser.de/de/bech ... -5610.html

3. I know the suggestion is to go wider hubs and aluminum wheels but my understanding is the early models came out with narrow hubs and steel rims.

No, yours is right for half hubs and the steel chrome rims were standard.

5. The tail light seems to be for a later version where it had the stop light component but not sure if that was an Australian requirement.

There is some argument on the taillights, and as you say many were changed out "in period" for requirement reasons. So, its not too clear cut with your build date.

6. The air filter is correct but again for a 53/54 model... Therefore I'm wondering if mine was bordering on the older/newer models hence the difference. I cant imagine within the 12 years it was being used the owner swapped out tail light, air filter etc

What filter is on it? What do you think you need, an Eberspächer? If you need an Eberspächer DM me.

8. the triple clamp shouldn't be chrome it should be black ( I believe)

Yes, black.

11. I'm guessing the horn is the correct one.

What is the number on the horn?
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Martyb

Post by Martyb »

Thanks James for your initial feedback, very helpful... I'm very open in getting opinions and advice on this restoration to ensure 'correctness' as much as possible.

Horn photo attached.
Attachments
IMG_2999 (1).jpg
IMG_2999 (1).jpg (29.39 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

The Vintage BMW library is your friend! In the 1953 owners manual: https://vintagebmw.org/library_data/Doc ... 7ac93a.pdf at the bottom of page #16 in the PDF you will find it should be HO/FDF 6/3.

The 1954 handbook at https://vintagebmw.org/library_data/Doc ... 7850de.pdf also agrees.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

Hi Marty, Thanks for posting those pictures. As stated earlier it looks like those 12 years on the road were well spent. It is an R68 so that in itself is amazing. I get that you’re not interested in having a rat bike so if this were mine I would restore it. I’m good with patina but this needs some real restoration work.
I hope to find an R68 project bike, complete or not. At least I would need an R68 frame with correct serial tag and engine block matching number. Of course a complete bike would be nice as well. I have an R67/2 which I have owned for forty years. Bought it not running but very complete & original.
It sat in my garage until several years ago when I started to restore & assemble it. Over the years I had collected a number of R68 parts so I built an R68 replica. Still have all the parts to return back to original. All numbers matching. On my replica build I used an R69S engine. I have this restoration on a Google drive if you’re interested I can send it to you. It may answer a lot of questions on your project. My bike has a 200 watt 12 volt alternator which I would highly recommend. All the best with this incredible project. Many times I was helped out by members here on VBMWO. Cheers, Michael I will post a picture of my bike soon, I have put 3000 trouble free miles on the bike since completion.

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

mcs.jpeg

Martyb

Post by Martyb »

mcsherry1328 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:02 am
Hi Marty, Thanks for posting those pictures. As stated earlier it looks like those 12 years on the road were well spent. It is an R68 so that in itself is amazing. I get that you’re not interested in having a rat bike so if this were mine I would restore it. I’m good with patina but this needs some real restoration work.
I hope to find an R68 project bike, complete or not. At least I would need an R68 frame with correct serial tag and engine block matching number. Of course a complete bike would be nice as well. I have an R67/2 which I have owned for forty years. Bought it not running but very complete & original.
It sat in my garage until several years ago when I started to restore & assemble it. Over the years I had collected a number of R68 parts so I built an R68 replica. Still have all the parts to return back to original. All numbers matching. On my replica build I used an R69S engine. I have this restoration on a Google drive if you’re interested I can send it to you. It may answer a lot of questions on your project. My bike has a 200 watt 12 volt alternator which I would highly recommend. All the best with this incredible project. Many times I was helped out by members here on VBMWO. Cheers, Michael I will post a picture of my bike soon, I have put 3000 trouble free miles on the bike since completion.
Thanks Michael... I'd be interested to see your photo etc... cheers

Martyb

Post by Martyb »

Slash2 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:33 pm
I for one fully encourage any and every inclination to maintain a thorough record of your journey here for us to enjoy and follow along throughout your restoration process. The R68 is of course a much coveted machine and as most us will never own one, following the journey vicariously through you will have to do.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Chris
Thanks Chris....