If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1976 R60/6 restoration

wolds

1976 R60/6 restoration

Post by wolds »

Hello all, thought I would share with you a picture of the R60/6 I've been working on since last November. I am picking up the tank, fenders, headlight shell and side covers that are being refinished in black/clearcote and will have Re-Psycle's striper apply the traditional double white pinstripes. I'll be riding to Pennsylvania for the rally in July. Warren
Attachments
img_0245.jpg
img_0245.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
img_0256.jpg
img_0256.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
bmw_r60_6.jpg
bmw_r60_6.jpg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
2007 BMW R1200RT
1979 Yamaha XS650 "cafe"
1976 BMW R90S
1976 BMW R60/6

schrader7032

Warren - Pretty sharp

Post by schrader7032 »

Warren -

Pretty sharp looking...nice and clean engine case...for now!! Maybe I'll see you in July...I'm planning on riding there as well. I'm sure I'll help out at the Vintage display and Tom Cutter's tech seminars are not to be missed!

BTW...on the middle photo where the bike's centerstand is not on a board. It looks like both wheels are touching the ground. Is that just an illusion from the photo? If not, then it's possible that the stops on the centerstand have been worn down, letting the stand go too far past center.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wolds

Hi Kurt, In the middle

Post by wolds »

Hi Kurt,

In the middle picture the bike was sitting on a 1" thick rubber floor mat so the pads of the centerstand have compressed it which is why it looks like that, when it's on pavement the front wheel is off the ground. Since we're on the subject though, when the flats of the centerstand are worn down, aside from the front wheel not coming off the ground are there other symptoms such as the stand not wanting to flip up on its own? The action on my stand is smooth and free, but it does not snap up to the retracted position when you rock it off the stand. Warren
2007 BMW R1200RT
1979 Yamaha XS650 "cafe"
1976 BMW R90S
1976 BMW R60/6

schrader7032

Warren -I think if the flats

Post by schrader7032 »

Warren -

I think if the flats that touch the ground are severely worn, the biggest problem will be that it becomes tougher to get up and over on and off the center stand. You have to lift it just that much higher, or maybe not lift, you have to use more force to cause it to go on and off.

The springs could be sacked on the centerstand, they could be the wrong length, or it could be the pivot points need lubrication. The lubrication aspect is something that should be part of routine maintenance. Put the bike on the sidestand, lie down on the ground, and move the centerstand by hand...you'll see what needs lubing.

For removing springs, there's a neat penny trick. Google springs and pennies...you'll find a couple of youtube videos on that.
Kurt in S.A.

R.D.Green

If the centerstand flats that

Post by R.D.Green »

If the centerstand flats that touch the ground are severely worn, you may be facing another problem. Maybe soon, maybe later, but be aware of it. Some years ago, the stand on my /5 had became very worn in that way. I didn't pay much attention to it until one day when the metal became so thin that the stand just completely gave way as I was putting the bike up on it. There was no fixing it and it was time for a new stand. I'm glad it happened when I had my hands on the bike and not at some other time.

I second the penny trick. An elegant solution...

Richard

wolds

The centerstand is riding on

Post by wolds »

The centerstand is riding on fresh bushings. I had RePsycle weld a new tang to the centerstand, Rick Hanson their mechanic inspected it for wear and aside from the missing tang gave it his blessing. I took care to apply a light coat of grease to the bushings when I assembled it. The springs are new and as far as I can tell the correct one's. Am I correct that the centerstand should snap to its retracted position when I push the bike off the centerstand? Thanks, Warren. P.S., Kurt, if you need a place to crash on your way to the rally and your coming through Columbus Ohio, let me know.
2007 BMW R1200RT
1979 Yamaha XS650 "cafe"
1976 BMW R90S
1976 BMW R60/6

schrader7032

Warren -It's been a long

Post by schrader7032 »

Warren -

It's been a long time since I had the stock centerstand on my /7...I now have the Reynolds rideoff. But on my other two bikes, the stock centerstand does not snap up. I have to use my foot to bring it home. So, I suspect your /6 does the same.

Thanks for the offer...I'll keep it in mind. I believe I'm taking a southern route to the rally...going to enjoy the roads in N Carolina and West Virginia. On the way back, I was going to see family in Pittsburgh and also Chillicothe, Ohio. If things work out, I'll give you a shout.
Kurt in S.A.