If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/5 and /6 frames

gilracing

/5 and /6 frames

Post by gilracing »

Does anybody know if the /5 and /6 frames are the same? I know there is a difference between the LWB and SWB. But what I want to know is if the "main frames" (the part where the engine bolts, without the rear subframe, swing arm and drive shaft) are the same?

Follow up question: could a /5 SWB rear subframe and all its components be fitted to a /6 "main frame"?

Follow up question: What are the sizes in inches of the /5 and /6 seats?

Thanks,
Stew

schrader7032

The /5 and /6 frames are not

Post by schrader7032 »

The /5 and /6 frames are not the same, although I believe engines will go in either frame. Basically, they made the /6 frames stronger. The double wall backbone started in the '75 model year (or maybe '76). Other subtle differences are progressively longer head gussets for better bracing, larger diameter cross tubes at the swing arm/battery area, additional cross members on the /6 frame that aren't on the /5.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

gilracing

Thanks for the feedback. Do

Post by gilracing »

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know the answers to my follow up questions?
Thanks,
Stew

schrader7032

Stew - I answered your first

Post by schrader7032 »

Stew -

I answered your first follow-up question on your other thread.

As for the second follow-up question, I've read that the SWB seat is different than the LWB /5/6 seats. I know that the /6 seats are different than the /7 seats. That said, I looked at the part numbers for the bench seats and see the following:

52531230197 (up to 9/1971)
52531233960 (from 9/1971)

The LWB /5 didn't start until about mid-way through the '73 models. So, I'm not sure what to make of that.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

gilracing

Thanks for your efforts. It's

Post by gilracing »

Thanks for your efforts. It's the /5 - /6 component intermix compatabilty question that has got me baffled and trying to determine what I have before spending the money on a new seat.

mymindsok

Swapping the SWB subframe and

Post by mymindsok »

Swapping the SWB subframe and swing arm onto a /6 frame is almost a no brainer and it's something that I've been wanting to do for a long time.

If you need to know which seat you have, just measure your seat or swing arm and the truth will be told. I have a SWB seat in the garage and will happily compare numbers with you.

Mymindsok

Airhead #85