If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

engine install question

Randall

engine install question

Post by Randall »

so... when I pulled the engine out of my r75/5 I had the heads and cylinders off but the transmission was still attached to the motor. it was a tight squeeze to get it all out even with the top end off and I'm wondering if I can even get it all back in in one piece with the heads and cylinders installed? is the correct way to install the engine complete but without the tranny attached and then install the tranny separately?

schrader7032

Either way, but it's probably

Post by schrader7032 »

Either way, but it's probably easier with the tranny off. And typically, you need to remove the battery and tray and possibly even disconnect the swingarm, but that might not need to be done. Without the tranny, it's easier to handle. But with two or more people guiding things, it probably can be done all together. It might even be a little easier since you have the cylinders to grab on to.

I've heard people doing this on the side...especially if you're doing a complete restoration. in other words, lay the frame on its side. Have then engine sitting on its side in a milk crate or something, holding it up off the floor. Then two people grab the frame and position it down on the engine and slide the mounting bolts through and hand tighten them. Roll the frame/engine over to right side up. Continue to put things together.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Randall

thanks Kurt

Post by Randall »

thanks Kurt