If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Final drive issues

SOFLABEEMER

Final drive issues

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

Hi All:

I cannot, for the life of me, get the final drive seperated from the rear swingarm/driveshaft housing. The seal won't break no matter how hard I pound on it lol.

Any ideas on how to get this done?

SFB

Attachments
final_drivee2.jpg
final_drivee2.jpg (249.4 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
final_drive1.jpg
final_drive1.jpg (241.55 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

schrader7032

I have a stuck bolt on my '73

Post by schrader7032 »

I have a stuck bolt on my '73 Pontiac water pump...I wonder if it's related??

I would imagine that there must be some kind of sealant used between the two mating surfaces. Any chance you can get some penetrant down the four bolt threads and get something working in the gasket area? The parts diagram don't show anything other than the four bolts/nuts and a gasket in this area.

Maybe try a little heat to get things to expand/contract and help break what's stuck.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

SOFLABEEMER

THanks

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

Thanks Kurt. No luck with the penetrant. I am a little aprehensive to taking a blow torch to my final drive, not sure how else to heat it up...

RW

schrader7032

I don't think you want to

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't think you want to make the thing cherry red or anything. I'd try to get it spit sizzle hot or maybe get one of the those infrared thermometers and check...200-225 is what I'd shoot for.

Kurt in S.A.

SOFLABEEMER

Well for now I just removed

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

Well for now I just removed the rear swingarm so at least I can lube the final drive up without hunching over Thus I was able to remove the transmission... this is the R100 tranny that the previous owner bought to replcae the destroyed original (which I have in a box). I'm looking at the hole where the spedo gear slides in and it looks like there is one already stuck in there sans cable... now I have to start disassembling it to find out what is going on.

With the tranny off I was able to turn the crank shaft and hear the sweet sound of the cylinders compressing... we will get to that soon enough.

Because all the parts on this thing haven't been removed in way too long even loosening the simplest of bolts is trying at best. For example, the oil pan plug won't budge. I wanted to take a look at the oil and see if the previous owner put a magnetic plug in there but just no luck getting it off. SIgh...

SFB

schrader7032

Why not just take the oil pan

Post by schrader7032 »

Why not just take the oil pan off? You should do that anyway just to clean up the sludge and gunk. You'll need a new gasket (no sealant on it) and be mindful of the torque on the oil pan bolts...I don't use a torque wrench, just one of those nut drivers...it's easier to control the torque and a little more difficult to over torque. Maybe you can work with the plug from the inside as well.

Kurt in S.A.