If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Homemade motorcycle stands?

jeffrey.salman

Homemade motorcycle stands?

Post by jeffrey.salman »

Hello All,

I am in the process of restoring my 1971 R 75/5. I am at the point where I want to remove the rear wheel, and then eventually the front wheel. Does anyone have any "homemade" lifts or stands that are safe for the motorcycle and safe for having kids around? I could always go buy something, but I thought I would ask the question here, to perhaps save some money for parts. I already tried "resting" the lowest part of the engine on a small plastic bucket as was suggested online, but the bucket immediately collapsed.

Thank you for any ideas.

Jeff

schrader7032

So I take it you don't have a

Post by schrader7032 »

So I take it you don't have a centerstand? Most things I've seen rely on the centerstand and either wheel. For example, I read where someone had a tie-down system to wrap around the front tire and the ropes were secured to gallon jugs of water. A lot of the motorcycle lifts (Harbor Freight sells one and is on sale from time to time) that puts the front wheel into a chock/clamp so that the rear wheel can be removed. I know that bicycles are carried in the back of trucks with the front wheel removed and the hubs are mated with a locking mechanism. I could see where the front wheel could be mated with some floor standoffs and you would run the axle through the forks and tie into the standoffs. But all of this requires a centerstand.

There are some motorcycle lifts that have been adapted with some wooden rails to pick up the lower frame tubing and support the bike that way.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jeffrey.salman

Motorcycle stand

Post by jeffrey.salman »

Hello Kurt,

This bike only has a side stand. Perhaps I should buy a center stand, since I eventually would like to have one anyways. Then, I can proceed with the breakdown of the bike. Thanks,

Jeff.