If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1971 R 75/5 seat removal

jeffrey.salman

1971 R 75/5 seat removal

Post by jeffrey.salman »

I am now the proud owner of a 1971 R 75/5 that should go to the junk yard because it has been sitting in an open field uncovered for 18 years. However, it is a matching numbers bike and was only $350.00 and it actually only has rust on the bolts and mufflers. My first task because it is one hell of an eyesore is to remove the old seat. The six, small allen wrench screws will not budge even with WD-40, penetrating oil. Does anyone have any ideas? I feel that this motorcycle is worth saving and restoring, if I can just get her apart to put back together again. Would it be possible to cut through the old cushion from the top?? I would like to preserve the "hinges" if possible. Thank you from a newbie.

schrader7032

IMO, WD-40 is not a

Post by schrader7032 »

IMO, WD-40 is not a penetrating fluid. Try something like AeroKroil or PB Blaster. I've also heard that a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF is a powerful penetrant. Use heat, too. Let time do it's thing. I forget exactly how the hinges are attached. Is it possible to dremel off the heads or drill out the fastener?

Personally, I would dump the hinges for a lift-off seat conversion. I did that on my /7 right after I got it. My reason was that I have hard mounted Wixom bags and I couldn't get my seat open enough to really be worth my while. I removed the hinges (sorry, too long ago to remember) and bought a lift off seat kit conversion. Duane Ausherman has a home-made version here:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/seatmod/index.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jeffrey.salman

Thank you

Post by jeffrey.salman »

I really appreciate the help. Last night I ripped off the old, nasty foam from the top and now have access to the rusted bolts that I can Dremel off. That will leave the hinges intact, so that I have the option of another hinge seat. I do like the idea of the drop down seat, thanks for the link. The "penetrating" advice will come in useful as I break this thing down, as every nut, bolt and screw is dark brown and rusted.

Jeff

PAN_SCN_SUX

Yup...

Post by PAN_SCN_SUX »

IMO, WD-40 is not a penetrating fluid.
Water displacer formula number 40 if anyone was wondering...
If you're going to hire MACHETE to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

gapl1953

lesson learned

Post by gapl1953 »

[quote]IMO, WD-40 is not a penetrating fluid.

Water displacer formula number 40 if anyone was wondering...

Thanks, it's still early in the day and I got that "Learn something new everyday" thing out of the way. Now I can concentrate on the really useless stuff! 8}
Greg
R75/7, R80RT, R90/6, 318Ti

jeffrey.salman

Update

Post by jeffrey.salman »

I dremel tooled the bolts off and removed the seat pan without any problems. I also have removed the gas tank, petcocks, rear fender and rear sub-frame. So, I have made some progress, especially for being a newbie and especially since this old bike as I mentioned earlier was in the open for the last 18+ years.

Jeff