If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Free fix for worn instrument bulb socket pins/moisture behind speedo/tach glass

f11at125

Free fix for worn instrument bulb socket pins/moisture behind speedo/tach glass

Post by f11at125 »

To make a long story short, I just replaced my alternator rotor and turned the key and NONE of my engine check lights lit. The problem turned out to be a loose connection in the plug on the back of the instrument panel, which I had taken off to start with a bulb check for the GEN lamp before tracing the issue to the rotor. My bike is a '76 R75/6 but I think this same fix would work on lots of models.

The back of the instrument panel has a bunch of pins attached to the bulb socket board that wear from repeated plugging, which is sort of stupid since getting into the panel is usually one of the first stops for diagnostics and something I've had to get into enough to probably be the cause of the wear...

A new socket board Image is one way to fix the issue for $125. But I found that a large pair of vice grips, clamped down to closed before being squozen onto the tip the pin, left just enough of a burr to rejuvenate that connection.

When you can squeeze a pair of pliers and save $125, it's a great feeling.

ALSO - I tucked two envelopes of silica gel (from a discarded package of beef jerky) into the space between the bulb housing and the speedo and tach - one on each side. It's raining cats and dogs out and for the first time there is no condensation behind the glass !

schrader7032

I had heard about the silicia

Post by schrader7032 »

I had heard about the silicia gel packs. Another thing I've heard of is putting a small hole at the very bottom and, from the inside, gluing a piece of Goretex over the hole. Let's any trapped air and small moisture out but keeps the bigger stuff from coming in. Also helps to equalize the temperature inside as well.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

ozzyrral

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board

Post by ozzyrral »

Thanks F11 for your tips on the circuit board issues. I contacted Max BMW this afternoon after you giving me the link for the new CB. Really nice people there. I ordered a new CB cause I'm tired of messing with my old one that's been soldered on and corroded after years of moisture damage. Seems like one thing gets fixed and another crops up.
ozzyrral aka Larry

You can't expect everyone to know your boundaries and abide by them.

f11at125

I can't say enough nice things about Max...

Post by f11at125 »

Rusty in Parts is one of the most helpful people I know; he's gone way above and beyond every time I've talked to him (more than once he has helped me diagnose electrical issues over the phone; "okay, now bridge DF to the crankcase. If your GEN light's on now, you need a new rotor.") Last time I was there, let me photocopy his handwritten notes from BMW's 1977 tech class on airhead electrics; I mean, really! Who does that? He loves us! More often than not he tells me NOT to buy/do something I'm considering. "Look, the BMW rotor is $550 and the aftermarket is $130. The only noticeable difference is where they are made, so it's up to you. But no one is ever going to see it, so..."

It's kind of like 60 Minutes - I used to work for the Radio Television News Directors Association, and so much energy was dedicated to generating "ratings" - MORE stories about pedophiles on the interweb? More helicopters following white Broncos? More lesbians? What will it take to make people watch?? And then every awards ceremony celebrated the one new program that COMPLETELY IGNORED all the hype-mongering and just did two simple things: Knew what they were talking about and told the truth. Max should publish a book about customer dedication; it's not just about offering the lowest price or having the snazziest website (God knows they don't; I keep trying to get them to let me overhaul theirs) - it's about being honest and knowing what you are talking about, and THAT Max does in spades. And Rusty has a soft spot for those of us with rugged old airheads. He likes seeing smart people experiment and come up with work-arounds. He asked me to email him the link to my Krauser Latch upgrade ("this is great; I've never seen this before!") The one thing he's ever insisted I buy - really pushed on me - was a $10 spoke nipple wrench. "Someday a friend with a Honda will be over and you'll be glad you have the one that fits any bike. And it's cheaper than the beemer one that only fits your bike. Trust me."

I love those guys.

LBourque

Rusty at Max BMW has been

Post by LBourque »

Rusty at Max BMW has been very helpful to me as well. I am restoring a G/S and his suggestions have been the best. Probably will be giving him a call this week.
Lou