If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Would anyone buy this to restore?

jeffrey.salman

Would anyone buy this to restore?

Post by jeffrey.salman »

Hello,

I am next in line to purchase a 1971 R75/5 that has been in a field for the last 12 years. It has minor damage to the left fins on the crank case and obvious rusting, etc.. from being rained on for 12 years. Both wheels still move and it has matching numbers. It's being offered for $350.00 I want something to restore anyway, so I feel that I could probably re-sell it as a parts bike, maybe to recoupe the 350, if it is unre-storable. Am I crazy??

Thank you to those with much more experience for letting me know what you think.

Jeff

schrader7032

Well, you certainly wouldn't

Post by schrader7032 »

Well, you certainly wouldn't loose your initial investment if you chose to part it out. Of course, doing something like that does take time/effort to break it apart, box it, ship it, etc. I've never done something like that.

I've also never gotten a true basket case (although this is not necessarily one of those) so I don't know what the energy it might take to keep after such a restoration. Obviously, if you have time on your hands, like to tinker, maybe have access to other used parts (there are several used parts places), then it could be kind of fun to bring it back alive. Certainly, there's some satisfaction in take a heap and making it look nice to the eye!

The R75/5 was a great bike, having really stepped up BMW's entry into motorcycles. The R50/5 was probably a little weak, but the R75/5 was a good, strong bike. It is short wheel base which some like for its "flickability" but if not set up right can be problematic in straightline stability.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jeffrey.salman

Thanks for the reply, as

Post by jeffrey.salman »

Thanks for the reply, as always. There is always a little bit of "faith" that there will be enough there to restore, but as you said, I can recoupe the money as a parts bike if it is too much of a basket case. I'm lucky that it is only 30 minute drive from where I live, so I will hopefully own my first BMW motorcycle soon. Then maybe 10 years from now, I can ride it. Take care,

Jeff

bmweuro

If it has been sitting in a

Post by bmweuro »

If it has been sitting in a field foe 12 years chances are the transmission has filled up with water and it might have a stuck piston. For the price it seems hard to go wrong. See if the motor kicks over and look inside the gas tank. Surface rust in the tank is OK as it is easy to clean out.
www.facebook,com/boxermetal
Hi. My name is Chris and I am a Slash five-o-holic.