If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1979 r100rs BMW

schrader7032

1979 r100rs BMW

Post by schrader7032 »

Before I got to your suggested offer, I was thinking around $2K. There are a number of '80s R100RS models on IBMWR with prices easily over $3K. The bike you're looking at has some "issues" which is going to some fixing. I went the other direction, first have an R100/7 and then buying an R69S to restore. There's quite a bit in common, from a design standpoint, so it should be easy for you to fix the bike up.

The '79 R100RS should be a pretty good bike. It was the first year of the "points in a can" as BMW was beginning the transition to an electronic ignition. It has the heavy flywheel which I like. Bummer that it doesn't have the fairing. I like fairings...I don't really like riding a naked bike. I had a '78 R100RS for a brief period. It was pretty nice and felt sporty but I couldn't really take the short handlebars and leaning over like that.

This bike has some mechanical and cosmetic issues. A $1K price is probably getting too low and maybe $2K is generous. I guess he's paying for insurance, etc., which is wasted money each year, so getting off his hands will save money in the long run. Sounds like something in the middle might be the way to go. You'll have to decide if you want to move up from there if he doesn't bite.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Bruce Frey

1979 r100rs BMW

Post by Bruce Frey »

For me, 1500 would be the upper end for a bike with some rust in the tank, mice in intake intake and no fairing. You will probably spend more than you will ever get out of it, but I look at this as a hobby, not an investment.

Good luck,

Bruce

airhead

info on cost

Post by airhead »

I picked up an '81 r 100 rt minus faring with 150,000 miles for just under 2000.00 all i had to do was put a battery in it. bike runs great. hope this helps....

VBMWMO

1979 r100rs BMW

Post by VBMWMO »

I need some help on determining a fair price on a R100RS that has been sitting for a while. Was running two years ago with regular bare,bare maintenance, I used to see this bike pass my house quite reguarly and it sounded good. Has leaky push rod seals, carbs need to be cleaned I assume, mice activity in air cleaner, No fairing with bike, some rust in tank (minimal), he says gauges work, needs battery, and mufflers. He stated that it smokes blue if it has sat between usage when he was riding it two years ago. bike is complete except missing side cover. He is a friend of a friend and I trust his input. He does not want to revive the bike or put time or any money to make it run as he is not mechanically adept and dosen't want another huge bill from a dealer just to sell it. Maybe my gain I hope, I was going to offer him 1500.00 and wondering if anyone thinks this is fair or not. ( feedback please ) It has 36K on it that is true milage. I have a semi restored BMW 1968 r60/2 US and don't know much about this series air head beamer but want a bigger bike to fix up and take longer trips with. I think this might be a good choice. Thanks for all your help. I really would like to make my first offer fair. Thanks
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

danicmic1

Mint 1979 R100RS

Post by danicmic1 »

Would a mint condition original paint job 1979 R100RS ever be worth $10,000. It comes with an extra set of mufflers and many spares. The bike has 90k miles but was stripped down and everything was restored. Any thoughts on how rare this bike is?

schrader7032

I wouldn't think the bike is

Post by schrader7032 »

I wouldn't think the bike is that rare...maybe well cared for. The '77 RS is probably the best of the lot having the most HP of the bikes before the EPA got a hold of it and made changes to the timing. I can't think of anything very special about the '79s. I would think that maybe $5-7K is what the bike is worth.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.