If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Spoke tightening 73 R75/5

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't really have much experience with tightening spokes...I've never really even touched the spokes on my /7 for nearly 30 years...

Try this website - http://agwalker.com/wheelbuilding.html - there might be some general info there.

You said some wouldn't tighten? Does that mean the turned and turned but never got tight or they won't turn at all? In the case of the first situation, maybe something's stripped?? If they're stuck, you might have some corrosion set up and it's not allowing the spoke to turn.

I'd be a little leary of just loosening everything, especially too much. Most likely the hub is correctly offset from the rim and if you get things too loose, you'll change that dimension and then have to spend hours getting it back again.

You might be wise to dismount the tire and tube and see what's going on. Also, you could apply a little penetrant and possibly loosen some threads.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi I'm new to the forum, and also learning about motorcycles I had been reading about how to check the tightness of spoked wheels by listening for the high pitched ping. I did this and found some dead spokes. I got some of them to tighten up nicely but some would not.

So first of all I've read that its important not to tighten more than a half turn or so and to then skip 4 spokes, I unfortunately didn't do this I only tightened the spokes that seemed to need tightening.

The question is why couldn't I get a few of them to tighten? I turned and turned to no avail. I fear I may have tightened them too far but if the spoke is still loose it could it be anywhere near the tube?

Would going around and tightening every 4th spoke only a 1/4 or 1/2 turn help to make the loose spokes available to tighten?

Would loosening each spoke a bit and somewhat starting over be wise or would this risk seriously pulling wheel out of true?

I'd really appreciate some tips
Thanks
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.