If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Wiring harness names

schrader7032

Wiring harness names

Post by schrader7032 »

I can't help much on the harness issue.

As for the squealing sound, you said it stopped when you stopped. Was the engine still running when you stopped? Did you rev the engine while sitting still? You could confirm the tach problem by undoing the cable from the tach and then restarting the engine. If you've got loose screws running around inside the unit, it's only a matter of time before it grenades...maybe it's beginning with the sounds your hearing. If it is the tach and the loose parts are creating problems, the longer you go with it in operation like this, the higher the repair bill.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

armymutt

Wiring harness names

Post by armymutt »

That's what I was thinking as well. Gotta figure out how to disconnect it before I ride home tonight.

schrader7032

Wiring harness names

Post by schrader7032 »

My /7 speedo cable screws into the back of the speedo pod...there's a jamb nut there. I figured the /5 tach cable worked the same way. Of course it connects to the camshaft down at the front of the engine but that's probably harder to get at.

Or maybe yours has the speedo and tach all in the headlight shell? I don't remember when they moved the speedo/tach out of the headlight to its own pod on the handlebars.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

armymutt

Wiring harness names

Post by armymutt »

Actually ended up being fairly simple, just nerve wracking. The turn signal indicator plastic is really brittle and it's basicaly impossible to not touch it when reaching inside. I had to unscrew the speedo cable to reach the tach cable. Started the bike up and the needle stub isn't spinning.

mearns4389

Wiring harness names

Post by mearns4389 »

Hi, I posted /5 wirering harness 6 Jan. I purchased both harnesses (not that expensive) I have not done the work yet, but it looks like the main harness goes into the bucket. This does not come with the little plastic covers. I need to see if they can be purchased. It also does not have the connectors attached to the wires, gotta get them also. I will get to the project when it warms up. I live in the N. East and do not have a heated garage. I will keep you posted as to what I learn or please keep me posted if you get to it before me. -Bill
BolDor90/6

VBMWMO

Wiring harness names

Post by VBMWMO »

I'm wanting to replace the wiring and any brittle connectors inside the headlight bucket of my '72 /5. I have found two wiring harnesses available - engine and main. I have a feeling that both harnesses have parts in the bucket, but wanted to make sure. The parts that are the most brittle and have insulation falling off are the wires running to the various indicator lights and switches. I get nervous working in there now - managed to break a plastic connector when the back of my hand brushed it while trying to fix a turn signal problem.

On another note, I heard a loud squeeling noise this morning while riding. It stopped when I stopped. I think it's the tach, but want to see if there is anything in the engine that might sound like that. Any ideas? The tach is pretty much toast at this point - the needle was missing when I bought it and now the screws holding the plate down have come loose and are floating around under the glass.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.