If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

steering damper on 90S

schrader7032

steering damper on 90S

Post by schrader7032 »

From what I've read, they're really not necessary for run-of-the-mill riding. They might be needed for riding over rutted roads or on a sidecar...certainly needed for race bikes riding at 10/10ths of their capabililty. I have one on my R69S...not sure it even works...but it's set to the "0" position or no damping.

If your bike has a weave at any speed, you shouldn't be using a bandaid on it. It needs to be fixed. Things like steering stem bearings and tightness, tires, forks, rear swingarm bearings and alignment, rear shocks, etc. There are a variety of things that can contribute to the problem, but it usually comes down to proper tension in the steering stem bearings. I believe the way to set them up is so that the handlebars fall gently to either side once you nudge them off center. They shouldn't remain firmly in one position and they shouldn't bang off the stops, either...sometime in-between that.

Keep the damper for accuracy but don't worry about using it. Just be sure the bike is set up correctly.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cone

steering damper on 90S

Post by cone »

Thanks Kurt, steering head bearings are next on the agenda.

redavide

steering damper on 90S

Post by redavide »

I removed my damper 40,000 miles ago. I keep the bearings well adjusted and front end maintained. Never had any problem, bike handles perfectly under all conditions (not including use of a sidecar).

VBMWMO

steering damper on 90S

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi, how important is this little item? I took mine off seeing it was oily and looked clapped out but have only been using the bike for regularity runs at relatively low speeds since. I recently read that the bike can develop a "weave" without it. I dont intend riding it too hard but will be doing a trip in December and will cruise at 120 kph max. I believe these items are very expensive if you can get them so I dont want to fork out cash if it is not really nescessary.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.