If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

is it a correct cylinder heads for R60/5 ?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

KK -

The horsepower and compression ratio for the R60/5 and R60/7 were the same as far as I can tell. So, from that standpoint, the combustion chamber should be the same.

I don't think the 1264 566 number is a part number, although it is very close. Most likely this was just the mold number used to make the heads.

The part numbers are different as you note, /5 to /7. I believe the only difference will be the way the rocker arm blocks locate on the buttons on the heads. IIRC, the /5 series required some manual alignment when tightening the head bolts. But with the /7 series, there were some stepped bosses which located the rocker arm blocks in a more precise way. There's little adjustment on the /7 series.

There may also be a difference in the way the pushrod tubes are integrated with the heads.

Not sure if the heads you're looking at are ready to bolt on or you have to transfer the mounts for the rocker arms. The later series rocker arms are better at any rate.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

i appreciate if someone could give me advices about cylinder heas for R60/5 .

i recently went to see sets of piston, cylinder and cylinder head( brand new ) for private sale .
the seller said they were for R60/5 .
as long as i checked them , piston says ' 73.97mm +0.5 ' and cylinder says '73.2D1' . i reckon they are fine for R60/5 .
but i was not sure about the cylinder head because ' L6 1264 566 SiCu ' was written on itself ( left side ) .
if this number( 1264 566 ) was meant as bmw part number , it should be ' 1262 960 ' according to bmw catalogue .
when i check cylinder head for r60/7 on the catalogue , i found its part number was ' 1264 564 ' . it was close but still different ......

do you think the head ' L6 1264 566 SiCu ' is possible to use for R60/5 or it is for R60/7 ?

thanks

KK
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.