If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

i have a question

schrader7032

i have a question

Post by schrader7032 »

Also from the 'bums website:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/chemicalsetc.htm

"14. Weatherstrip adhesives. These are used on our bikes to 'glue' the ID strips along the engine sides, install fairing boots on RS/RT, etc. Common usage is to call these by the name of Gorilla Snot, as they are usually yellowish, but black is now available. Several brands, but always purchase the 'SUPER' weatherstrip adhesive. I've had great results with Permatex, now available in black as well as original snot yellow, the black works well for RT fairing rubber boots (after degreasing the boots, use on the black painted interior), and the original: 3M (which long ago stood for Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing). ALWAYS follow the directions....this means doing it in two stages of application. This is nasty stuff, so keep it off your paint. It is VERY strong and does not release at moderate temperatures."

I think you'll need too much heat to get it to release...it could damage the engine or the badge. I think you'll need to try and get a razor blade or something like that in on an edge. Once you get an edge up, then you can systematically keep cutting the glue until it's off.

I had an engine badge loosen up on my R100/7. I used this stuff, followed the directions, and glued it back on. A word of caution...be sure you position the badge correctly. If it's too far to the rear, it can make removing the air filter housing difficult. DAMHIK.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

i have a question

Post by VBMWMO »

the name plates on the engine "BMW R100/7" how is this plate held on - is it with a 2 way tape? can i use a heat gun to remove to restore?
thanks - slip
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.