If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Speedometer rebuild...

schrader7032

I never really noticed those

Post by schrader7032 »

I never really noticed those scews...thanks for that! ~X( I rechecked all my bikes and none of the screws line up...must be a factory thing.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

miller6997

Screws lining up

Post by miller6997 »

Did the factory assemblers worry about lining up screws? I wonder. I once rode my R69S into Irv Seaver's shop and manager Brian Bell gave me a good-humored but very detailed lecture about the disgraceful misalignment of many of my fasteners. The only ones that catch my attention now are the ones holding the tank badges in place. For some reason I pay attention to those, but in general my tolerance for public ridicule in such matters is pretty high.

(I'm headed to the garage now to check the screws on my speedo face.)
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

schrader7032

I would imagine it's hard to

Post by schrader7032 »

I would imagine it's hard to make the screws line up. The threads in the screw and the female side are what they are. Once the thread in the screw catches, it will end up where it will I think. I'm not sure if there are two places in the female thread for the screw to catch...180 deg apart. But the only way to attain alignment is to change the orientation of the female and if that is threads in a larger body or bracket, I don't see much could be done. I suppose washers could be used to space the screw head out to make a better alignment, but that could get ugly.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

yeeeha

MIA?

Post by yeeeha »

I didn't want to start a new thread, but has anyone had contact recently with Terry Vrla? I sent my instrument cluster to him in March for repair. I emailed him two weeks ago, again last week and left a message on his phone yesterday asking for an update on when I may expect it to be done and no response. Thanks...
-yeeeha

Soldotna, Alaska

skyler.robbins

Terry is the guy in

Post by skyler.robbins »

Terry is the guy in Oregon?
He was on my list to send a speedo repair too, but his schedule was crazy long/busy.
He was like 2 months from being able to get anything completed.

Lincoln

Terry has done two of my

Post by Lincoln »

Terry has done two of my speedos. Excellent work, very reasonable price, but turn around is three months at least. When does riding season (without ski outriggers) begin in Alaska? :) all best, Lincoln
Lincoln--Ann Arbor & Taos
1967 R69S, original owner; 1978 R100S; 2001 R1150GS; 2002 R1150RT

yeeeha

Just started. My first ride

Post by yeeeha »

Just started. My first ride on my /2 was last week...
-yeeeha

Soldotna, Alaska

miller6997

Just for the record

Post by miller6997 »

I checked the two little screws on my speedo face. The instrument was rebuilt some time ago by North Hollywood, and the screws are NOT properly aligned. Thanks to my neglect of this important matter, I suppose it's too late to lodge a formal complaint, but for those of you looking forward to a speedo rebuild in the future, be sure to put this item on your checklist. Can you image the work it's going to take to remove the instrument, remove the bezel and lens, and line up those tiny screws and then put everything back together? ;^}
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California