If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Starting R50 "Barn Find Condition" Restoration Project

skogas

Further info

Post by skogas »

Hey guys, thanks again for all your replies!

I just had a bit more wrench time with the bike after the info you guys provided, and the mystery with the number seems to be just a poorly stamped number "5" on the plate that I've initially mistaken for "3" (please see the attached image).
I had a look from another angle after removing the tank and it looks more like 5 - so apologies for this misleading information.

Another surprise - the removal of the tank has revealed a NEST! Don't think it's an original BMW accessory so it had to go :)

Darryl - thank you for your suggestion re. frame measurement - will try that as well!
I tried my best doing the wheelbase measurements without having the central stand and they seem to come somewhere between 1418-1423mm, which can probably be attributed to my poor measuring facilities.

And with the ignition - I removed the keyhole cover from the headlight and it looks like the top of the key broke off at the time of the crash, and the rest of it is rusted inside the keyhole (tried to get it out but no luck as yet), that'd explain why Magneto kicks in "by default"

Thanks again for your responses!

Attachments
key.jpg
key.jpg (298.28 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
nest.jpg
nest.jpg (115.21 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
number.jpg
number.jpg (485.85 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
--
Andy

jimkav

Awesome find!

Post by jimkav »

Awesome find!

R68

...further info...

Post by R68 »

Well that makes more sense, and you have an early production R50! R50 serial numbers are 550001 to 563515, and your's seems to 55039?, (and 551592, while still an early bike, is not so very early). Whatever. Your front end, rear fender, speedometer is later production, but your seat frame a REALLY early, and a hard to find version. You also have your original '55-'57 specific wheels. Mouse nests are often found in/under the air cleaner so check that out before you try to start the bike. You can push the broken off key out from below. You still have an interesting bike, albeit expensive to restore. Maybe someone in Australia will chime in and offer you some type of trade for an easier BMW for you to restore? Some folks really like very early production examples of a particular model?

VintageSalesandRestorations

More '55 stuff

Post by VintageSalesandRestorations »

Front Fender, headlight ears, speedo, taillight, license plate bracket are all from post 1957. And the air cleaner is only 1952 - this bike had not been dreamed up yet. I love 1955 bikes - I have a '55 R69 and I'm greatly looking forward to restoring it when I get some more of my customers bikes done. Also, have a look at the shock covers, in '55 the edges were rounded, not sharp. Also the rear brake actuating parts are unique as well.

Jeff

skogas

Thanks!

Post by skogas »

Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated. The more I look into this project - the more committed I am to try to see it through and get to at least reasonable condition one step at the time (which will definitely take a while).
Trying to identify the core things that definitely needing fixing first, and then we'll see how it goes :)
Cheers
--
Andy

kenrcruise

R50 Project

Post by kenrcruise »

I have one too! #551610. If you are interested please email me at: kenrcruise@gmail.com.
Ken Cruise

kenrcruise

R50 made 18th after yours!

Post by kenrcruise »

Hi Jim Kay

I answered the first post, not realizing you had the VIN number close to mine: 551610. I'd be interested in email correspondence (kencruise@gmail.com).

Regards, Ken Cruise
Ken Cruise

malmac

Have you got the Barrington Motor Works - restoration manual?

Post by malmac »

Andy

Hi, I am in Toowoomba, Queensland and have a bike I am restoring. Not quite as neglected as your bike.

Are you aware of the Barrington Motor Works manual - it is very good and really I would get that before I go to far along with the project -

All the best with your project.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

skogas

Hi Mal, Thank you for your

Post by skogas »

Hi Mal,

Thank you for your message - great to find a fellow Aussie here!

Sounds like the Barrington manual is a must, so thanks for giving it another vote, as in fact I placed an order just a few days ago and it's currently on the way (fingers crossed it arrives sooner than I damage something important :D)

Really can't wait to get my hands on it, as I bet I'll find a lot of answers to my questions there - I'm still in the process of disassembling the bike and those questions just keep piling up :)

Hope your project is going well (nice camera on your avatar btw)

Cheers

--
Andy

bmwmyplace

Andy if you want to talk BMW

Post by bmwmyplace »

Andy if you want to talk BMW call me ,like Mal Im in QLD (Brisbane) also a friend of mine needs a tank like that for his R25 if you want to sell it cheers Peter 07 3289 2008