If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

BMW R 27

Arsene_Wenger

BMW R 27

Post by Arsene_Wenger »

Hi All.

This is my very first post. My name is Richie and and i am from Melbourne, Australia. I joined this forum to learn more about BMW bikes. My interest is in WW2 jeeps but ever since i laid my eyes on the BMW R25, i got hooked. I then learnt thatthere was a R26 and a R27 model and among them the R27 was the best due to engine rubber mounts.

Since then , I have also read (on this forum) that they are not fun to drive in a town/city environment due to the time it takes to engage the gear and the lack of power.

Currently i am going through the owners manual of the R27. I don't know a lot about bikes in general and i am looking forward to learning from the members on this forum.

I am also looking for a nice affordable R27 to buy and ship to Australia (finance permitting). I am in no hurry , but if members can guide me in the right direction , it would be fantastic.

Hopefully i can one day move on to the R69 series which seem to get rave reviews from current owners.

If members suggest particular books/forum pages that are a must read , i would appreciate that.

I don't have much riding experience. I have only owned/ridden small bikes namely a Jawa 250 CC , A Royal Enfield 350 CC and my last bike a Yamaha RD 350.

Sincerely

Richie
Searching for a nice matching # BMW R27.

schrader7032

Welcome, Richie! The R27

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome, Richie!

The R27 would be better suited for modern traffic but you'll still have to drive with your eyes wide open. You could easily get swallowed up by faster traffic.

As for other resources, two on-line areas to consider are:

- the Yahoo Mono site - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmw-mono-club/

- the Einzylinder site - http://bmw-einzylinder.de/forum/index.php

The Yahoo site has more US visitors, although there is an international group there. The Einzylinder site is hosted in Germany, the birthplace of our bikes, but they have a forum area for English speakers. There's an extensive collection of links on the German site for other background reading materials.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Arsene_Wenger

Thank You Kurt. I have

Post by Arsene_Wenger »

Thank You Kurt. I have already registered on the German website. Will register on the Yahoo group as well.

Cheers

Wynand

Hi Richie,

Post by Wynand »

Welcome to forum.

Have you had a good look around for local R27's for sale? Clubs/Gumtree the like. It might safe you a lot of effort. I dont know what the situation was in AUS but South Africa has quite a number of vintage/classic BMW's as the police and municipalities made use of them.

I must say this one is way expensive.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/natone/m ... 1036990625

Patience is the key. I have seen local, well cared for R69S bikes for half that price.

(Enjoy the cricket, hope SA beat AUS well and truly! :-)
R50, R60/6, R90s

ScottA

little info

Post by ScottA »

If members suggest particular books/forum pages that are a must read , i would appreciate that.
I wish there was more easily accessed information covering this model too, Richie.

...I have also read (on this forum) that they are not fun to drive in a town/city environment due to the time it takes to engage the gear and the lack of power.
I haven't ridden a stock R27 to compare, but I'm happy with the ease of shifting and the gear spread resulting from a lightened flywheel and /2 solo gears.

There's at least one R27 in Melbourne.
'61 R27, '63 R60/2 etc.

Arsene_Wenger

Hi Wynand - Thanks for

Post by Arsene_Wenger »

Hi Wynand - Thanks for replying. I did see that one on Gumtree it is just way too expensive. Even the auction ones don't go so high , so i passed.

I have just started looking so I can be patient. Just need to find the right one.

Let me know if you see anything nice in SA. I don't mind shipping from there either : - )

(PS - You guys are favorites but with Kallis missing you guys are missing a batsman of the caliber of Dravid and a bowler of the caliber of Zaheer Khan rolled into one - as one commentator put it when India toured SA. The balance of the team is bound to be impacted)

Cheers

Richie

Arsene_Wenger

Hi Scott - Thanks for the

Post by Arsene_Wenger »

Hi Scott - Thanks for the info - the way i figure , the kind of bikes i have ridden till date will lead to me not realizing what the problem is (barring the RD 350 i guess) - It is only guys like you who are riding the superior bikes who notice the difference?

I guess when i get a R 27 - depending on how i go - i could try something similar to what you have done on yours.

I have not spotted any early R series bikes in Melbourne. (1950-1970) - but i am sure there are some around.

Cheers

Richie

Arsene_Wenger

All of you who have ridden

Post by Arsene_Wenger »

All of you who have ridden the R 25 / R 26 and R 27 model - Is there a massive different in the ride quality because of the rubber mounts of the engine?

Thanks

Richie

ScottA

R27 available

Post by ScottA »

Last weekend I spoke with Evan Bell, owner of Irv Seaver Motorcycles in Orange, CA.
He mentioned his R27 is up for sale. We didn't talk about the price.
'61 R27, '63 R60/2 etc.

VintageSalesandRestorations

R27

Post by VintageSalesandRestorations »

Stick with the R27 - much more enjoyable to ride - R26 are famous for broken frames and other vibration related damage.