If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2 red indicator purpose

MullyR60

R60/2 red indicator purpose

Post by MullyR60 »

Hi all,

What is this red light on the right side of the bucket for?
Attachments
head_light_indicator.jpg
head_light_indicator.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
MullyR60

schrader7032

I've never been able to keep

Post by schrader7032 »

I've never been able to keep it totally straight and the final situation could be changed by dealers or owners. The story I remember is that it is the generator light. I probably have that wrong. Initially, all you had was the heart-shaped red-green lens at the back of the bucket. Red for the generator and green for neutral. Late in the 1960s with the US pushing for safety, the generator light was moved to the separate indicator you pointed out and the old red lens was converted to the high beam indicator.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

MullyR60

Hi Schrader, The red

Post by MullyR60 »

Hi Schrader,

The red indicator in the heart shaped lens in the back is still the alternator light on this bike. Maybe the one in question is the high beam indicator? I do not recall this lamp ever turning on however. I have used the Hi beam. The lamp may be shot also.This is a new bike for me and it being vintage is also new but very cool.

Thanks again!
MullyR60

jeff dean

on 1969 bikes

Post by jeff dean »

On 1968-9 bikes, it was the generator light and the red triangular indicator at the bottom of the nacelle was a high beam indicator. However, on bikes I owned that had the red circular indicator on the side of the nacelle I switch the wiring so that the generator light was where I was used to seeing it, and the red indicator became the high beam indicator.

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

rdnNHandAZ

I agree with Jeff

Post by rdnNHandAZ »

I am refreshing my 1959 R60 which has a later headlight nacelle. I am leaving the heart shaped lights as BMW originally made them and the "third light" will be the high beam like Jeff's. I visited MaxBMW and had them show me all the third light colored lenses. They had red and green but those are used already on the origional so I picked orange and will use a very low watt lamp in it so it shows up in the evening but not bright. Blue would have been good too as many cars use that color for high beams.

Ralph Hudson
59 R60, 1976 CT90, 1983 R80RT(sold), 1998 R1100R 75th Anniversary Edition, 2002 F650GS new to me.
Lakes Region, NH & Sonoran Desert AZ "Have Leatherman Will Travel"

If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.