If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New member and new R26 owner

1977cj5

New member and new R26 owner

Post by 1977cj5 »

Hey. I got a R26 today, should be delivered in a week or so. I'll post pictures when I have it.

The good: Gave it a test ride today, and everything seems to work. Fun ride! The Bad: Crummy paint job, but the metal is in good shape. The frame S/N does not match the engine S/N. Not a show piece, but that's not why I bought it. I got it to enjoy riding and tinkering with it. My rides will be close to home and probably not over 45 mph, so this bike fits the bill. I could sit and look at it all day... That's probably what I'll mostly do.

I have a couple of questions.

1) Any names of good mechanics in the Atlanta area?

2) The bike could look really good with a new paint job, since it does not having matching #'s should I just leave it alone, or spend the money on a decent paint job?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to being a member.

schrader7032

The singles can be kind of

Post by schrader7032 »

The singles can be kind of interesting...I'm tearing down my R25/2 for a bottom end and top end overhaul...I've got a thread going on that. You might need to consider that at some point to be sure that the engine remains healthy. First, get to know the bike and see what she needs.

As for an Atlanta mechanic, I think your best bet is Blue Moon Cycle in Norcross. John Landstrom is probably the guy in the region for mechanical help. If you want to venture a bit further to the absolute best guy, it's Vech at Bench Mark Works in Sturgis, Mississippi.

http://www.bluemooncycle.com/
http://www.benchmarkworks.com

Vech is busy preparing for their annual vintage rally this weekend. Catch up with him later..

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

c.d.iesel

just staring at it R26

Post by c.d.iesel »

WELCOME,
-and crummy paint may mean crummy maintainence also

start by changing the motor oil, gearbox oil, rear diff oil s
if you don't have the Owner's Handbook - order one for all your
mechanical tune-up data - order from Bob's BMW or
many other suppliers.

Stop staring at it and do something nice to it.
but I know the feeling to just look and sigh!
VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.