If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Hubcap and airbox paint

schrader7032

Jeff's website does mention

Post by schrader7032 »

Jeff's website does mention Avus black:

http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm

Although this page is labeled 1970-on, Snowbum mentions 086 Avus on this page:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pcodes.htm

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

miller6997

Jeff's right. It's Glasurit

Post by miller6997 »

Jeff's right. It's Glasurit Avus 086. This is definitely not a semi-gloss paint! I think you can still buy it from Glasurit, and equivalents are available from other companies, but the little touch-up bottles are no longer available. The stuff that's sold now, at least in California, is two-stage (base and clear).
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Yokim

Avus Black

Post by Yokim »

Thanks schrader,
Now I just have to find something that's equivalent in a spray can. I found something at http://www.colorrite.com/cart/cart.cfm for the Abus Black. A little pricey at $34 a can and have to figure how many I need to do the job. If anyone knows an equivalent match in aerosol, share the knowledge.
I hope this helps others in the same situation.

Younie

Yokim

Avus Black

Post by Yokim »

Thanks for your advice Miller,
If you have any knowledge where the Avus 086 aerosol equivalents are available from (Duplicolor, Valspar, etc.), please let me and fellow DIY looking to restore with a limited $$$ know. Already dropped quite a bit at this time so the interest and time to learn factor has increased. Any expert info would be greatly appreciated! Also, how much is needed to do a touch up (about 20-30% coverage of total area of frame and fender).

Younie

miller6997

I tried the Colorrite paint

Post by miller6997 »

I tried the Colorrite paint that is sold as the equivalent of Avus 086. It's a two-stage application, seriously overpriced for a rattle-can in my opinion, and I did not have much luck with it. I was painting the lids on a set of Wixom bags and was not impressed with the way it turned out. I am definitely not a painter, so I did not expect professional results, but I gave up on it and turned to old faithful Duplicolor. I think it's called acrylic lacquer, and I bought it at Pep Boys. It's good paint, forgiving and easy to use, and I got very nice results. If you have the patience to do proper prep and then do several coats, rubbing out between coats, it really looks good. When it dries it is quite hard and stands up well to color sanding. It doesn't equal the original Avus on the /2s, but what does? It's pretty close.

For big, important pieces like the tank and fenders, I would not use the Duplicolor. For accessories and small bits such as headlight ears and shock covers on a rider, I think it's just fine. If you are doing a true restoration and are not a skilled painter, then no, just get used to writing checks.

I think Tim Stafford uses PPG on his restorations, and they are frequent show winners. Look at Jeff Dean's bikes for examples. Maybe he'll chime in here with advice.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Yokim

R60/2 Black Paint(s) Equivalent

Post by Yokim »

I was on the fence with the Colorrite system so I really appreciate you sharing your experience. You saved me time, $$$ and possible frustration.

Looking to do a moderate amount of touch up on:
1) Frame (scratches, rust)
2) Fenders (top and sides masking out original pinstriping)
3) Forks
The sport tank is in excellent condition and still has a great finish with only a few very minor surface nicks so I'll leave it alone.
Only the tank, bench seat and fenders are being removed for this process as I don't have the resources to do a full on dismantle and for my intended purposes, not necessary at this time. I'm not a professional painter so it's being done by a skilled bike detailer here in Brooklyn.

I like Duplicolor and would consider the Acrylic Lacquer along with a suitable clear coat. So you don't recommend it on the fenders which raises the question, do I really want more than one different black finish? I'd like to stick with one black for the areas I'm trying to tackle. Here is Liesl now (yeah my wife named her and it really grew on me).

Thanks,
Younie
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (402.78 KiB) Viewed 1543 times

miller6997

You don't have to clear coat

Post by miller6997 »

You don't have to clear coat the acrylic lacquer. My reservation with using it on something as large and visible as a fender is that it would call attention to the difference between the repainted part and the parts that are still original. The difference is likely to be most apparent in the direct sun, when the Glasurit will look so deep, the repainted parts will look bogus by comparison. The same would apply to touching up areas of a larger surface. Good luck getting anything to blend persuasively with the original Glasurit. I have a front fender hanging in the rafters that has some ugly paint damage, about 3" X 3", on the forward part, and otherwise is in perfect original condition. I can't bring my self to sand off the original paint, but I can't think of a way to spot-repair the damaged part without having it look patchwork.

As an alternative to think about, a local paint shop that shoots Glasurit two-stage painted the rear section of my back fender. With striping, it was $150, and I consider it a success. It blends perfectly with the rest of the fender. The stripes are not an absolutely perfect match, but the original stripes had a lot of wobbles and variations, so it's not noticeable.

When the Glasurit touch-up was still available, I bought a stand and did a partial disassembly on my R69S. I touched up and rubbed out all the little dings and scratches on the frame, fork, and rear swing arm, one by one. After I rubbed out the entire frame, these small repairs basically disappeared. At the same time I detailed everything, top to bottom, and cleaned the cases. It took some time --the bike was down for a month-- but with everything back together it looks really good. It amuses me to have to convince people it is not restored. Experienced restorers can tell, of course, but most people cannot.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Yokim

Glasurit Avus Black 086 It Is

Post by Yokim »

Once again I value and trust your advice. You also confirmed my decision as to source out Glasurit Avus 086 for all parts needing work. Holt BMW happens to carry it and supplies to various restorers. I spoke to Kent there and is extremely knowledgeable in this area. Hopefully with the Glasurit on the top of the fenders and some rubbing down, I can get it to blend in with the original paint.

With your shared experiences, I think this is the way I'll go. Now to find out how much more it'll bleed out of me.

Best,
Younie