If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

advancer Photos?

TrophyMoto

advancer Photos?

Post by TrophyMoto »

Anyone got a good one? The ones on Duane's site don't show the spring orientation, and there seems to be several different kinds?
I replaced my springs and I am not sure they were ever on correctly.

I should add this all started from a high idle condition, I can drag the motor down with the clutch and it will stay there = sticking advancer?

schrader7032

How about

Post by schrader7032 »

How about these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/16498717/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/16498718/

Typically if you can slow the engine down with the clutch and the weights come back into their position, it's a sticking advance or weak springs.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

TrophyMoto

Ya, I got them on right. I

Post by TrophyMoto »

Ya, I got them on right. I think my unit is just worn. Does the newer style fit on all /2? I now have the older style, and a few "parts" advancers... may be time to start mixing and matching

Heinrich

Hope your problem is solved

Post by Heinrich »

When the bike is idling and you pull in the clutch and the revs drop it can also be indicative that there is play on your crank shaft. The clutch is pushing the crank shaft forward and the engin slows down. This means that your thrust bearings are worn and need to be replaced. If the idling problem persists and you have exhausted the "easier" options, do investigate this possibility.
HeinrichHeinrich

schrader7032

Movement Visible in Timing Hole?

Post by schrader7032 »

When the bike is idling and you pull in the clutch and the revs drop it can also be indicative that there is play on your crank shaft.

How much play do think might be evident? Would it be possible to look at the flywheel through the timing hole and see enough fore-aft movement to indicate a problem?
Kurt in S.A.

Darryl.Richman

Flywheel movement

Post by Darryl.Richman »

When the bike is idling and you pull in the clutch and the revs drop it can also be indicative that there is play on your crank shaft.

How much play do think might be evident? Would it be possible to look at the flywheel through the timing hole and see enough fore-aft movement to indicate a problem?
Yes, you can see it, but it is very slight. You have to watch very carefully, pulling the clutch while the motor is off. Any movement of the flywheel is too much.
--Darryl Richman

Heinrich

Play on crank shaft

Post by Heinrich »

The play is very slight and should preferably be measured with the appropriate equipment. A good manual will give you all the specs. You have two thrust bearings (also referred to as thrust washers). One on the inside of the of the engin housing where the main bearing is situated and one on the outside where the flywheel bolts onto the crankshaft. One or both can be worn. From my experience I replace the outside one first, reasemble and check. It's much easier. Besides the thrust bearings, once you have removed the flywheel, inspect the lip of the flywheel (where it bolts onto the crankshaft). It could also have developed a ridge, which would nullify your new thrust bearing. Either then replace the flywheel or have it welded up to spec by a reputable company (the latter is not recommended long term, but it has been done).
HeinrichHeinrich

TrophyMoto

In my case I'm "dragging" the

Post by TrophyMoto »

In my case I'm "dragging" the idle down while in gear,with the friction of the clutch then it stays there. I looked at all my spare advancer parts, the one on the bike is the "best" . So eBay here I come, unless anyone knows of a place to get parts?

schrader7032

Did you clean it thoroughly

Post by schrader7032 »

Did you clean it thoroughly when you replaced the springs? Are there obvious signs of wear where parts are dragging against each other creating stiction?
Kurt in S.A.

leach

advance unit spring locations

Post by leach »

Thank you for these photos. I am new to VBMWMO and appreciate the knowledge that is passed around. I am trying to get my 69 R60US to run a little smoother, and have been studying info on the advance units. I just bought new springs from Vech and installed them, but then got to wondering about the position of the mounting pins on the flat plates (opposite the cam pins). In the one photo of the newer advance with the 'U' spring, both pins on the plates are in the outter holes, in the corners. This keeps the coil springs paralell to slot in the face plate.

In the othe photo of the older advance unit with the '?' limit spring, the pin in one plate (away from the ? limit sping) is on the inside curve away from the corner. this appears to allow the spring to stretch in a straighter line.

Question 1, Can the pins be put in different locations so that the spring stretches in a straighter line? I notice on my unit that for the springs to stretch they have to bend around the tight corner.

I also notice that the 9mm spring is very stretched out when the weights are retracted, unlike the spring shown in the picture, which brings up Question 2. When the spring holding plates are tightened can the be tightened in different positions, or should they always be tightened in the outward position (lineing up with the outter edge of the face plate)?

I appreciate your comments
Richard
Richard
69 R60US 76 R75/5 (in boxes for now)