If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Smokee Plus small drip of oil out the exhaust..

youngfolk

Smokee Plus small drip of oil out the exhaust..

Post by youngfolk »

I took my R50/2 for a ride this afternoon crisp clean breeze and looked behind me and found there to be white smoke coming out the exhausts, thinking it had been standing for 2 weeks that maybe some of the muk was burning off.

After i parked and and left the bike for about 10 min i noticed a small tablespoon fill of oil below the silence pipe on the floor at the end of the exhaust. Could this just be a oil seal or would this be more serious. There is no sign of oil other then the odd drop from the breather pipe leaving the sump. Horrified that I'm bleeding i need to fix her.

Any ideas if the motor needs to be stripped or less of a headache.
thank you Sven South Africa.
Sven S.A
r50/2 1963

schrader7032

Sven - I'd first check the

Post by schrader7032 »

Sven -

I'd first check the valve clearances. Be sure that the oil is draining back from the valve cover area to the sump...there are some small holes at the bottom of the heads that should allow this. You'll find out when you remove the valve covers...there should only be a small amount, a couple of teaspoons...not sure what that is in ccs. After that, I'd do a compression check.

But the big bang for your bucks is a leak down test. This needs to be done with the engine warm and done for each cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. You inject air into each cylinder and note that amount of air loss. No loss means a tight head and rings; 10% loss or leakage means probably a problem or time for a rebuild. You can also listen where the air is going. If you pull the dipstick and hear air gushing there, it's the rings. Pull the carbs and listen there, it could be intake valves. Go back to the end of the silencers, air there means exhaust valves.

Could also be that the valve guides are worn out. Oil might be getting by them into the exhaust.

Hope you find something easy!!

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

youngfolk

Thank you Kurt will have a go

Post by youngfolk »

Thank you Kurt will have a go at your recommendations and keep you posted.

Sven S.A
r50/2 1963